Oh no! Couldn't get my rudder up!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mrichey

Oh no! Couldn't get my rudder up!

Post by mrichey »

So my Chrysler C22 sandpiper was in a slip all summer. I pulled it out of the water yesterday to put it on the trailer. Pulled the rope on the tiller to get the rudder up but couldn't budge it. Pulled it out of the water anyway with a bit of horrible scrapping on the ramp. I was able to physically move the rudder up by hand, while my wife pulled the rope and locked it. Still can't budge it in either direction using the ropes. Any suggestions? I had to put it in storage right away, so I'll have to deal with this spring.
Kenr74

Post by Kenr74 »

If the 22 is the same as the 26, I find the position of the rope does not give much leverage. It wouldn't take much to keep it from moving at all. I would be interested to know if anyone finds a better way to route the ropes or any other idea.
Just to make you feel better (maybe), I BACKED down the ramp this year with my rudder down. Worse than scraping. I think I did damage to the bearings. I will be dropping the rudder this winter and see what I can find.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

FYI, My rudders on the C22's were buoyant! So lifting the rudder was NEVER an issue. In fact, many times I was pulling the DOWN rope to ensure the rudder was fully down while sailing!

A couple of things to note:
Pulling the rudder off the rudder post is quite easy so you can pop it off and clean any parts or pieces necessary to make a clean rise and fall of the rudder.
Next would be to ensure the bushing that the pivot bolt goes through is properly sized. The idea is to not be able to to tighten down the rudder pivot bolt so tight it creates unwarranted friction. Lastly I'd confirm the lines are fresh, clean, rigged properly, and not fouled in any way. Not even twisted on each other! Yep! just that can do it to ya!

Lastly if replacing the lines is an option I'd recommend colored lines! On my boats the up or lift line was red. Meaning I was to stop sailing and lift the rudder. The down line was green. Meaning lets go! LOL!

I know a bit silly and simpleton however I never had to think which line do I pull on!

Good luck!

Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Also, check to make sure you didn't loose the pin that holds the nylon bushing on the lead edge fo the rudder cheeks that lead the ropes up the rudder tube.
Sometime underwater things just fall off over the summer.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
mrichey

Post by mrichey »

Pulled it out of storage, no pin and no nylon bushing! I'm about to put it in the water again for the season but don't think I will repair it. I really have no need to pull the rudder up.

Could some one post pictures of what this is supposed to look like?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Either go to our main page, select documents and scroll down to the Chrysler 22 links to find an abundance of documentation or just click the link to a PDF file below.

Scroll own the PDF to the keel, then rudder section to see an exploded look of the rudder and a parts list!

http://captainscottsailing.com/Chrysler ... Detail.pdf

Scott
mrichey

Post by mrichey »

Starting to think about this again as I'll have to pull her out of the water in a few months. Has anyone here done this repair? I'm not overly handy, wondering if someone could describe repairing it.