Chrysler Sailors Forum Index Chrysler Sailors
Talk Chrysler Sailing, Sailing in general

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

snap shackles and mast gate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chrysler Sailors Forum Index -> General Chrysler Sailing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astrorad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:22 am    Post subject: snap shackles and mast gate Reply with quote

How many are using snap shackles to attach jib sheet blocks to toe rail and how many use a mast gate to prevent sail slugs from coming out of mast when sail is lowered?
I have nice Harken blocks for the jib sheets but need to attach them to the toe rail and reposition them for sail shaping. How strong of a snap shackle would I need for this? I really don't want to pay the high price for two snatch blocks if I can avoid it.
Also there is no mast gate for my mast...how many use one when they sail? I could fabricate one or maybe I should just use a track stop instead.
Looking for advice from those with experience...Thanks in advance.
EmergencyExit
C Shirt/Site Admin
C Shirt/Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EE does have a mast gate and I like it compared toabove the feed slot on the CP23, but on EE the mast gate covers the slot, so you get a few more slugs/flakes down closer to the boom.

And also uses snap shackle blocks in the toe rail for the sheets. Sorry, but not sure of size
astrorad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx EE
CaptainScott
C Shirt/Site Admin
C Shirt/Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, Yesterday I typed up a reply here and I guess I forgot to post it! Doh!

I have a bad case of "Sometimers" LOL!

All of the C22's I've owned used snap shackles on the toe rail!
They work fantastic! They allow for adjustable positioning for different sized jibs and Gennys!

The also can be put away if the boat is stored in a less than ideal location. Say a storage facility or a motel parking lot, etc.

As far as the mast gate, only one of my C22's had that. I eventually sold that boat and let the gate go with it! I sorely regretted that! IF you store the main on the boom at any time for any reason, the mast gate is worth it!
My next C22 will either have one or I'll make one! It seriously makes life just a little easier!

Scott
astrorad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Scott
T.Bird

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry resurrecting this, but I'm curious about a mast gate for a C22. It's becoming clear that we could really use something that would actually keep the slugs in the track as opposed to the (original?) springy, flappy, thing that is currently there. Has anyone had any luck installing an aftermarket gate that holds slugs in the track while raising and lowering sail?

Thanks!
Tom

Be humble for you are made of earth.
Be noble for you are made of stars.
astrorad

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fabricated my own out of a couple of pieces of aluminum flat stock. It works just fine. I'll try to post a picture here when I get a chance.
clair hofmann

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just drilled through the mast at the bottom of the slot and slipped a pin through. I drilled another hole to tie a lanyard to.

http://www.marinepartdepot.com/qurebapin.html

I did this on my two Ventures and my 26. Simple and works great.

Clair
Number1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Mast gate and turning blocks Reply with quote

I've just returned to CO from Sequim where I finally was able to sail the 26. I have an extra gate that I will make available when I get back to Sequim but it will be several months a least. If someone wants it email me and it goes to the first request. I love having a gate since as previously mentioned you can flake the main with all the slugs down tight to the boom. I've used stops on my Macgregor 25 but I keep loseing them so I finally gave up and just wrap a bunji around the mast above the slot. Not elegant but it works. As far as blocks for the jib go I was short some rigging so this shakedown cruise I improvised and ran the jib sheets through the rings on the base of the most appropriate stanchon. I will definetly be getting some good blocks and snap shackles to run on the toe rail' I did run both a 95% jib and 150% genny and changing turning points was needed. The boat sailed great and I'm looking forward to some cruising in the strait and the islands.
Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chrysler Sailors Forum Index -> General Chrysler Sailing Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: