Chrysler 22 Evaluation Info

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Robert Elias

Chrysler 22 Evaluation Info

Post by Robert Elias »

I am a new sailor though I have some dinghy experience. Am thinking of purchasing a Chrysler 22 and would appreciate any info re trailability, size vehicle people are using for trailing and pullout. And of course how does it sail, slow, fast, close, tippy or whatever. I will be sailing in the Georgia Straight and Straight of Juan de Fuca areas, probably one or two people for 2 or 3 days.
Thanks,
Robert
Gus

Re: Chrysler 22 Evaluation Info

Post by Gus »

Robert Elias wrote:I am a new sailor though I have some dinghy experience. Am thinking of purchasing a Chrysler 22 and would appreciate any info re trailability, size vehicle people are using for trailing and pullout. And of course how does it sail, slow, fast, close, tippy or whatever. I will be sailing in the Georgia Straight and Straight of Juan de Fuca areas, probably one or two people for 2 or 3 days.
Thanks,
Robert
Hi Robert. I love my Chrysler 22. Trailers easy with a v-6 pick up truck. With the sails well trimmed, the boat sails like a dream. For 1 or 2 people its ok to overnite, one more, and its too crowed.
Good luck

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Hi Robert , I agree whit Gus .The C22 is faster than more of the other sailboat of the same size ( where I sail ) , very fun boat . Most of these boat have 30 years old , you have to be able to do some repais but you going to have a very very nice sail boat .
Gus

Post by Gus »

Agree, these Chryslers with moderate to strong wins are FAST. I was doing 7 knots this last trip. I guess Herresoft knows how to desing a fast boat :D

Gus
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hey Robert,

Great boat for moving on up. Multiple sail controls and a spinnaker make it one to keep things interesting for some time. Towing will probably depend on the trailer and what shape it's in. Mine tows easily, almost like it isn't there, and floats off the trailer as my truck tires are getiing wet. It doesn't need a steep and deep ramp to launch. It's about 2200 lbs on the trailer.

Ask about the keel brackets and the cable. Have they been replaced, maintained, any leaks?? It is a sturdily built boat being sailed in all kinds of waters all over the world. From what I've read on line, everyone is happy with it's performance.

Let us know if you get it, and if you don't.... where is it and how much are they asking? :lol:

Billy
Gus

Post by Gus »

Good points about the trailer. This is a heavy boat to trailer. My trailer its a 2002 LoadRite with brakes.
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

My trailler is the original one whit one set of whell , no brake , it's a horrific things to travel whit :twisted: , no fun at all ! I can say that pulling this thing is the opposite of sailling the boat !
When I am at the site the boat is easy to lauch and retreive . Fixing that trailer is one of my next project .
Archy

Post by Archy »

Hi Robert -

I just bought a C22 myself and can't yet comment on its sailability. Look out for the keel bolt, accessible on the port side in a bin under the settee seat. Also pay close attention to the keel winch (I had to change mine) and cable (ditto).

I replaced my keel cable with this fancy space age "rope" I think called spectra. This was advised by a boat shoip owner in Lunenburg NS (home of the Bluenose). This stuff is rated at something like 6500 lbs and should be quieter than the steel cable that came with the boat.

The other typical thing to check is the rudder tilting system. I had to fiddle with mine a lot to get it to work, but I still feel a bit like an East German weight lifter to get it to work! There are two ropes that go down the tiller assembly, one for lifting the other for lowering. It's a good idea, but if the rudder bolt is pinching the rudder you'll never get it to move.

Good luck with your search and purchase! Let us know what happens.

Archy
C22 Smiley :)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Archy, take the rudder appart and look for the spacers, yours are probably gone, that's why its hard to lower/raise the rudder. Mine its tight, but I can move without difficult.

And the steel keel wire its my knotmeter man! When it starts humming I know I'm doing 3-4 knots :p

Gus
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

Mine start humming precisely a 4 knots , and I love it !