New C22 Owner

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jsa

New C22 Owner

Post by jsa »

Hello Everyone. My wife and I have just purchased a 78' C22. We got her on the water today, but didn't get to take advantage of any wind.

I've sailed a Hobie 16 for a little over a decade, but this is my first venture into the "big" boat world. I'm sure there are some things that will transition, but I am looking forward to learning more about sailing larger boats. My wife is also happy that we will now have a boat to sail on that she can actually sit in and have virtually little fear that we will unexpectedly be swimming.

Disclaimer: I will not be offended if you correct anything I say I am doing or any terms I am using.

I have a few starter questions. The boat came with a standard jib and a 150% genoa. There are two sets of tracks on each side of the boat. There is a straight track along the cabin, and a curved track along the curved section of the cockpit. There is one traveler car on each side. The car can be removed and used on either track. Is the forward one for the jib and the aft one for the genoa? I am also wondering if the boat had been set up for a spin as there is an extra halyard and a vertical track on the lower, forward section of the mast. The boat did not come with a spin, pole, or hardware that I can tell of.

Do I run the sheets for the jib/genoa on the inside, between, or on the outside of the shroud and spreader?

The jam cleats do not seem to be very effective for the jib and their alignment seems off. Has anyone replaced them with cam cleats?

I'll start with those few questions.

I have to say. I've read a little on the forum and it seems that these boats are loved by many. The gentleman I bought this boat off of was very helpful throughout the entire process. He even delivered the boat, helped me step the mast in 100 degree NC humidity, and made sure all the running rigging was in place before settling on everything. I think I may have stumbled onto a good group here.

She has pretty lines, doesn't she?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

First and formost. . . .

WELCOME to the forum!
YES! She is a beautiful boat!

As far as the tracks go I suspect they were added to the boat. I've never seen or even heard f a C22 with them.

The factory setup would run the sheets OUTSIDE of the shrouds, down to a snatch block clipped to the toe rail where appropriate for the sail. No easy adjustments while under sail. The sheet would then run under the life lines if on the boat either to a turning block or directly to the winch. I almost always went straight to the winch. This is for both the genoa and the jib.

I suspect your boat was set up for racing.

Scott
jsa

Post by jsa »

Thanks, Scott!

I'm planning on taking her out again tomorrow and I will try to get some pictures of the way things are set up. That would be great if she was set up for racing.
jsa

Post by jsa »

Here are some pictures of the tracks..

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/jsaut ... sort=1&o=1[/img]
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Yeah, those tracks would certainly relieve the need for snatch blocks on the toe rail.

The aft track is most certainly for a genoa and I'd run the sheets outside the shrouds for sure.

The forward track looks more like a jib or even a storm jib type setup.
Best you can do is experiment with positioning of the sheets on each sail.
I'd then mark the track where you like it for normal sailing.

Inside the shrouds would allow you to beat closer to wind however you might backwind the main and lose performance. You'd like to have a good traveler on the main also. I've been known to have the boom windward of the centerline of the boat on light days with a loose footed main :) then have crew sit on the leeward side causing the boat to heel a bit. Drives other sailors nuts trying to figure out how I could move and they could not! :)

. . . . I do not performance sail . . . .

Scott
jsa

Post by jsa »

Thanks again, Scott.

We went out yesterday in 8-10 mph winds and she was a joy to sail. I ran the jib through the front tracks yesterday, but may try the aft ones the next time the conditions are similar. I didn't really like how the jib was filling in down wind and I was having trouble getting the tells to flow like I wanted. I also wonder if my sheets are the right length.

The jam cleats are a little harder to use. I've always used cam cleats on the hobie and sunfish. Perhaps they are just worn out.

I still haven't flown the 150% genoa.

I got to practice my sailing skills yesterday returning to the mooring after realizing my outboard prop wasn't spinning. She will start first pull, rev up just fine, and spit water, but the prop won't turn. I think something messed up when I was coming into the mooring the day before. Luckily, the mooring I was tying up to was only in four feet of water and I'm 6'4". I was able to luff her up and get an anchor down. I've got more experience with sails than motors, so I'm sure it will just go into the shop.

I'm really loving this boat though. I've driven to her the last four days. She's moored on a lake a little over an hour away. It will be all I can do to not go back today.

The good news is the boat doesn't appear to need anything. The previous owner already replaced the rudder and keel pins with stainless and rebuilt the keel case in stainless as well. The guy I bought it off of is an electrical engineer on military helicopters, so he went all out in that area. The cabin has led lighting in the galley area on top of the original incandescent. He also installed a marine stereo with speakers inside the cabin and cockpit, a depth finder, and an electric bilge pump with a float switch. Then, everything is run to a control panel with a pull switch. He also installed a military grade map light for good measure.

He also used to do upholstery, so the cushions are all in top notch shape and have been re-covered.

It also came with a lot of extras, like a boom vang, backstay tensioner, tiller extension, porta-poty, and a new custom-built trailer. I've only used the tiller extension and trailer so far. The boom vang and stay adjuster may be another conversation.

I feel like I really lucked out, granted she was a little more than we originally intended to spend. We were about to buy a Clipper Marine 26 for much less, but I suspect she would have ended up costing more as she was in far worse shape.

Here is the electrical panel:

http://s1319.photobucket.com/user/jsaut ... ort=2&o=37