Chrysler Sailors Forum Index Chrysler Sailors
Talk Chrysler Sailing, Sailing in general

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New C20 owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chrysler Sailors Forum Index -> General Chrysler Sailing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wags74#

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:42 am    Post subject: New C20 owner Reply with quote

Hello, I purchased a C20 Saturday and am excited to get to work on it over the winter and look forward to getting it on the water come spring. The boat is in very good shape overall, clean u/w body, crisp sails, all rigging is in good shape as well.

The two issues I have to tackle are the broken swing keel cable and sourcing a trailer. I'll also have to refurbish the keel while I'm at it.

I've found a lot of great info on this site already and hopefully I'll have something useful to contribute.

Thanks,
Ron
astrorad

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, the boat looks very nice.
CaptainScott
C Shirt/Site Admin
C Shirt/Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Welcome to the forum!

Them C20's have a HUGE cockpit don't they!!

Looks great!
Scott
wags74#

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have a large cockpit, one of the great things about the boat. Astroad, I watched your keel repair video, and several more of yours, on YouTube. I wish my keel was in that kind of condition to begin with,but its a lot worse. I'm researching how to clean it up and fair it out before coating it. All of the keel mounting bits seem to be on the outside of the c20. I see the pivot bolt and three bolts holding another chunk of cast iron to the molded keel. I'm contemplating trying to remove the whole thing.

I aldso have some small deck repairs to make, and I want to rebed all of the deck hardware and make sure they have stout backing plates. Also, don't want to forget about refinishing the small amount of woodwork.

I should have enough work to keep me occupied through the winter.
EmergencyExit
C Shirt/Site Admin
C Shirt/Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wags74# wrote:
All of the keel mounting bits seem to be on the outside of the c20. I see the pivot bolt and three bolts holding another chunk of cast iron to the molded keel. I'm contemplating trying to remove the whole thing.

The C20 keel shoe/bolt is very similar (if not the same as) the C26. Here's an article with some pics courtesy of Windward's site.

http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/sail_c26swingkeelbracket.html
wags74#

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EE, I believe I've visited that site before but I'll give it another look.

I started trying to remove the pivot bolt this past weekend with no luck. I tried (moderate) heat, impact gun, and a manual impact driver. I guess I'm reduced to getting out the sawzall and cutting the bolt on either side of the keel.

I can see that the shackle holding the winch cable corroded the cast iron until it ate completely through. A coworker suggested using band of some sort around the keel, isolated from contact with it to create an attachment point for the cable.

Ill take some pics when I get the keel out of the boat.

Cheers!

Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chrysler Sailors Forum Index -> General Chrysler Sailing Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: