rudder shaft

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
rc12ls

rudder shaft

Post by rc12ls »

Hello, I have a 79' C26. Can anyone tell me if there supposed to be a 2nd smaller piece of tubing in the rudder shaft. Rudder drawing only shows a single shaft tube of 1.5 O.D. and .120 wall. The drawing I believe is for a C22. I want to reinstall rudder and wondering if should chase another stainless steel tube before I reassemble. I'm thinking the original owner may have placed that extra tube in there to reinforce corrosion and its not really required. If you look down through the shaft from the cockpit, you can see a shadow of a lip from a 2nd tube if there's one... its been vexing me, thank you, Eddie
[/url]Image you can see new shaft and mush. bearings I made. [url=https://postimg.org/image/f6axw71t ... .jpg[/img][/url] [url=https://postimg.org/image/vmjefxb0 ... .jpg[/img]
Gaet

Re: rudder shaft

Post by Gaet »

rc12ls wrote:Hello, I have a 79' C26. Can anyone tell me if there supposed to be a 2nd smaller piece of tubing in the rudder shaft. Rudder drawing only shows a single shaft tube of 1.5 O.D. and .120 wall. The drawing I believe is for a C22. I want to reinstall rudder and wondering if should chase another stainless steel tube before I reassemble. I'm thinking the original owner may have placed that extra tube in there to reinforce corrosion and its not really required. If you look down through the shaft from the cockpit, you can see a shadow of a lip from a 2nd tube if there's one... its been vexing me, thank you, Eddie
[/url]Image you can see new shaft and mush. bearings I made. [url=https://postimg.org/image/f6axw71t ... .jpg[/img][/url] [url=https://postimg.org/image/vmjefxb0 ... .jpg[/img]
I have just taken mine apart three months ago and there was no inner tube inside.
Snowdog2

Post by Snowdog2 »

Hi Gaet,
I am hoping to take mine apart this week. I will let you know what I discover. Do you have any recommendations on disassembly or reassembly? Are there particular trouble spots? I am guessing yours is back together by now?
Gaet

rudder shaft

Post by Gaet »

Every thing went pretty well taken it apart it is easy, the only issue i had the bottom bearing worn the fiber glass on one side pretty deep it made a deep gouge so i made the repair for the fiberglass after the repair the shaft would not line up with both hole so i decide to shave quite a bit one side of the lower bearing to be able to line it up.And for the upper bearing use the proper sikoflex to prevent the upper bearing to turn.
Snowdog2

Post by Snowdog2 »

Gaet,
What are your referring to as the proper sikoflex to prevent the upper bearing to turn? What is sikoflex?

Thanks
Gaet

Post by Gaet »

Sorry i mean Sikaflex sealant,i did apply around the upper bearing to make sure the bearing does not move that the shaft rotate inside the bearing.
Snowdog2

Sealing the bearings

Post by Snowdog2 »

First, I am not familiar with Silkaflex sealant - I will need to research it.
Second, the top and bottom bearings, should they be fixed such that only the pipe can turn inside it, or should the outside of the bearings be free to move as well? I had not thought of sealing the outside of the bearings. I assumed that the inner tube prevented water flow (my straight tube had a bad tear near the top, in the back where one could not see it easily).

Mine is apart now and I am doing some fiber-glassing before I reassemble it . So this discussion is very helpful to me.

Thank you.
Snowdog2

Post by Snowdog2 »

I looked up Silkaflex and there seems to be two different products, 291 (Marine Adhesive/Sealant), and 221 (One-Component Adhesive Sealant), as well as a UV sealant (#295). Which one do you use for this sort of sealing?

Thanks again.
Gaet

Post by Gaet »

i use the 291 it work for me plus the bearing (bushing) has to stay still the shaft has to rotate inside the bushing,this will prevent your shaft to worn out the fiberglass around the bushing.
wags74#

Post by wags74# »

I have my rudder out now and a friend is turning new bushings out of a piece of 3" polyethylene rod.

My rudder stock doesn't have any other sort of tubing inside it.

I was thinking along the same lines as you when it comes to sealing the bushings to the hull. I've read someone on here suggest against it but I can't see how it would hurt.

I guess I should add I have a C20 but I understand the rudders are the same.