Chrysler Sailors Forum Index Chrysler Sailors
Talk Chrysler Sailing, Sailing in general

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where's the water coming from?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chrysler Sailors Forum Index -> General Chrysler Sailing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Where's the water coming from? Reply with quote

In the process of working on other projects on my C-22 I have developed a seeping water problem. My boat has been on a trailer since Otober 2016. However, water collects around the keel bolt area on the access hole side (starboard), and now that the plywood has been ground out on the port side, water puddles near that keel bolt as well. Using a mirror and a strong light, I can see moisture further forward in the hull.

I suspect this must be from the flotation foam. Is there anywhere else water could be hiding and seeping from? When I removed the black rubber plug to access the keel bolt area, water gushed out. A substantial amount!!

The water appears every couple of days. I vacuum it out, the area dries out, and then it's back 2 days later.

Two questions:
1) How does this water enter the boat? I know it isn't the keel bolt on the port side. But maybe starboard? What are other possible points of entry? Deck/hull joint (rain)? Area around the stantions?

2) How can I drain it or fix it? I remember Astrorad wrote a post about drilling a hole in the side of the settee to drain the water into the sole floor. This would be OK, but this water clearly seeps into the hull beneath the sole. Maybe it's coming from flotation beneath the v-berth. I believe this water may have contributed to the rot in the keel trunk bracing (that's already in a different thread).

I'm thinking about lowering the bow on the trailer so the water goes elsewhere, the keel bolt/trunk area dries out, and I can make my other repairs. And get my boat in the water. But of course, this does not solve the water problem, and perhaps sets things up for more rot later on.

Thanks for any advice.
Reality

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some thing like that. It was the toe rail. I scraped out the caulk/sealant on the top inboard edge of the toe rail and resealed. It stopped.
ChrisC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip. After seeing the water I looked at the toe rail seal closely, and it does need work. It's on my to do list.
Reality

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's severe you may need to remove the toe rail and redo the seal under it. I think there are pictures of this process somewhere on the site.
ChrisC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was thinking about that. I may be able to do something quick, but it may require more work. I'll have to do some investigating. I think the area around the stanchions is also a problem. I will need to investigate. And yes, I've seen information on this on the site somewhere. Very Happy
Reality

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I also rebedded and refastened my stanchions
astrorad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my videos on toerail refit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fOkbn8oMEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l2Qw5Mu7x0
astrorad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is video of hull to deck seal repair.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V5LrvklbtU
astrorad

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is video of replacing toerail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwoELAC88I4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Chrysler Sailors Forum Index -> General Chrysler Sailing Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: