What bodies of water do you sail?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.

Moderator: CaptainScott

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

What bodies of water do you sail?

Postby CaptainScott » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:22 am

Just curious where does everyone sail?

We tend to sail in Possession Sound Near Everett Wa. It is in the North end of Puget sound.
We day sail a lot and do a lot of crabbing in this area!

Our yearly vacation takes us North to the San Juan Islands and Gulf Islands. These trips find us in the Straights of Juan De Fuca and Straights of Georgia as well as all the waters in between. We'll take 2-3 weeks off work and just head North! LOL!

Where sail you?

Scott

Reality

Re: What bodies of water do you sail?

Postby Reality » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Bay of Green Bay near Death's Door Passage which connects to northern Lake Michigan

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CaptainScott » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:19 am

"Deaths Door Passage" Yikes!
Sounds like it was named for a reason! LOL!

Scott

Reality

Postby Reality » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:39 pm

Death's Door was originally "named" by the Pottawatomies from a war with the Winnebagos when hundreds of warriors died crossing it with canoes (pre 1676). They told the story to explorer Lasalle (1676) who marked his early maps as "Port des Mortes" which still appears on many maps. Today it's called "Death's Door" and is the origin of the name of our county (Door County, WI). It was treacherous for sailing schooners in the late 1800s and early 1900s due to currents, fog, & shoals resulting in hundreds of shipwrecks. But the name comes from before that.

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CaptainScott » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 am

Cool information, thanks for sharing!
Scott

B&G Clinger

Postby B&G Clinger » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:11 am

I am still a newb as I just purchased my first sailboat this past summer. And I happen to live in Michigan. I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones, because we have the largest fresh water sanctuary in the world in the Great Lakes.
So far I have only sailed out into lake Michigan outta South Haven. I am hoping next summer to get out there and go from marina to marina.

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CaptainScott » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Sounds awesome! Collect some great photos and share here!
Scott

dubbinchris

Postby dubbinchris » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:10 am

Only a smaller lake in Central Ohio. I do race her every week all summer long. Hope to drag her to Erie next season for a week or so. Wish this forum didn’t have such a small limit on the picture file size or else I’d post one.

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CaptainScott » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:43 am

Pics are very easy to resize!
Just open it in microsoft paint and select "Resize" LOL!
Or if you are an apple person, your iPhone or iPad has a resize option when emailing pics! Just email to yourself and resize!

Scott

boxykite

Postby boxykite » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:48 am

We hope to sail our newly acquired C-20 on Kentucky Lake at Land Between the Lakes. Didn't manage to get on the water this fall as I was overcome by events like repairing the trailer.

I could use a couple tips.
For example the rudder raising and lowering system has issues, especially raising, Anyone taken theirs apart and serviced?

Second question is on points of sail. How does it point without lowering the retractable keel, at least in light winds. The c-20 draws a lot of water with the keel fully down. Any tips or thoughts? would be appreciated.

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CaptainScott » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:14 pm

As far as the rudder, I have completely rebuilt a couple of C22. Make sure the lines don't bind. Make sure the rudder can freely move up and down. One thing I added to one of my C22's was little "T" handles to the lines. I also used color coded lines so I always knew which line pulled up and which pulled down. The T handle helped a lit too.

As far as sailing without the keel. I would expect her to not sail to wind well at all. Lits of side slip. But again, I owned a C20 but never had the chance to sail her. Broad reaching or running, I'd expect her to do well!

On my C22's I would at times partially lower the keel or even run downwind with the keel up.
Maybe you can sail her with the keel partially down?

Scott

pneuma

Postby pneuma » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:32 am

Hope I'm not jumping in too late. I launch a Chrysler 26 at Coulon beach park on the south end of lake Washington, in Renton, Washington. I do a lot of lake sailing, but love to go out the Seattle ship canal into the Puget sound. If i sail the San Juans or Gulf Islands I often Trailer the boat to Anacortes and have the boat slung into the water and sail away. I was happy to see that someone else is sailing Chryslers in the Sound!
Tim Brown

CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CaptainScott » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:56 am

Welcome!
There are several sailors in the Puget Sound with Chryslers! I wonder if we've crossed paths! We frequent the San Juans and Gulf Islands pretty regularly and see Chryslers there! I've tried hailing on the VHF but have never received a response!

Scott

pneuma

Postby pneuma » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:18 am

The San Juan Islands and the Gulf Islands are kind of a big area. I've sailed there on "Pneuma" just a few times. A real sailors paradise! To be honest, I sail mostly between May and September. I've sailed the San Juans in January. It felt like I had the place to myself.
Tim Brown

brigadoon

Postby brigadoon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Tim,
I keep Brigadoon a Chrysler 26 up in Sequim , WA and have only been out in the Straits a couple of times. I was wondering what kind of ground tackle you use and weather you use chain on it. I've purchased a rockna 10 but have yet to spend any time on the hook out in any real weather , most of my sailing has been on Blue Mesa Lake in Western CO . on a Macgreggor 25 , a much smaller and lighter boat than the Chrysler.
Rick Beers

Return to “General Chrysler Sailing Discussion”