Hull repair suggestions

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ronc98

Hull repair suggestions

Post by ronc98 »

I have some damage to my mast step I am not sure how to go about repairing it. I am not sure how long this has been damaged and how much water has gotten into the boat. There does not seem to be any soft spots so I think if I just allow it to dry out and seal it up well i should be ok. The questions is how do I go about sealing this? I am almost thinking I need to grind some of it down fiberglass it then seal it very well. Any advice? i do have Caseys Sailboat Hull and deck repair. Just not sure which direction I should go in this repair.

Once that is finished I need to work on some of the gel boat cracks that are visible on the top side. I assume this are pretty common on a boat this old.

The last repair I need to do is work on the sole of the cockpit. I will add some fiberglass to the inderside to strengthen it then go about sealing those cracks up. I assume these are common as well.

When I am all done I hope to beat this sunset. To date this is as good as it gets

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Great sunset pic ! Judging from the first pic I would be sure and check the structure under the mast step as well. Looks like it may have allowed the deck to compress there at the step. EE had a very poor system for supporting the mast, essentially a square bit of post made of poor lumber. It ran from under the step down the inside corner of the head bulkhead to the sole of the boat and really didn't hold up well. I had a few spider cracks around the step, but not as bad as you are stuck with. It got replaced with a metal post with flanges on the top and bottom.

Beau