Hurricane Prep

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
OldUgly

Hurricane Prep

Post by OldUgly »

I went down to the boat on Saturday to add some extra lines in preperation for Hurricane Dean. It's a good thing I did, as Dean is heading straight to Mexico. Had I not been prepared, Dean would have come my way. Funny how that works.

What are y'alls suggestion on how to best run the dock lines for such storms? Right now I've got 2 bow lines, 2 stern lines, and 2 spring lines running from the pilings in the front of the slip (I'm backed in) to the jib winches in the cockpit.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Tie one rope on to the bow ..pull it up on the trailer and take it out of harms way :lol: Seriously if that is not an option the book I was just reading, going over such things, seem to say the more the better. I guess anything can be overdone but your only hope is it stays in one place and all the others that don't, miss yours. Kind of depressing to think about.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Before Katrina I added lines from every cleat to an opposite corner of our dock and plings, sort of a spider web approach.

The last line I tied, the one I tied as an afterthought, was the last one that held EE during Katrina.

For what it is worth it ran from the port stern towing eye and was tied low around a piling on our dock.

This link may work to a pic of it

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community ... 280781&ck=
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Wow it looked like it fared well considering, however since it appears you had a trailer why not pull it out, lack of time and to many other more important things to take care of first?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

We had bought a stripped trailer a few months before, and had never gotten it bunked out. Even if we had, by the time we knew Katrina was coming it was too late to borrow the truck we used later, etc.

We did go down the Saturday before the storm to pick up in-laws, and other family, and cats and dogs, and such to shelter at our house, so the old girl was just not on the short list that day.