shroud tension question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ronc98

shroud tension question

Post by ronc98 »

I need some help in setting up the tension in my shrouds, back stays and read stays. When I rigged the boat for the first time it was just me and I do not think they are tight enough. The shrouds on the leeward side of the boat always seem to have a play in them. The mast learns a bit from the wind pressure on the sails you can not visually see this however you can tell from the shroud tension. I am sure some of this is normal but I am not sure how much. I wonder if some of the damage on my mast step is from the mast jerking from side to side during tacks.

Any advice on setting the tension?
matt

Post by matt »

As far as the side shrouds, my understanding is that with the sails down, they should have equal tension. I give mine a pluck and it should feel like a little less taught than a bass guitar string. When you are under sail, the leeward shroud should infact be less taught. This is normal.

I actually have a friend that uses a fish scale to measure the tension on his shrouds to verify that they are equal. I think for a C22 this may be overkill.

I think some other folks on the board may have better advice regarding the forestay or the backstay.