Naming your sailboat

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Naming your sailboat

Post by SN691 »

When you bought your sailboat did it have a name? IF it did, did you change the name or keep it. If you changed the name did you go through a denaming ceremony first. We used Vigor's denaming ceremony to denaming our sailboat to apeas the Gods. We will rename the sailboat with a christening ceremony using a bottle of home made strawberry wine.
here is the url for the denaming ceremony we used.

http://www.48north.com/mr_offline/denaming.htm

Bob
Last edited by SN691 on Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Our first Sailboat ( we are converted powerboaters ) was a 30' Hunter,
we outfitted her for the Islands, sanded off the old name "Bitter End"
and renamed her "Island Fever" lots of work and money, no ceremony
lots of Bad Luck until we lost her in Hurricane Wilma, and she was on the Hard!! Our second learner sailboat had no name, named her and found our sailing wings. Our C-26 was named "Rag Time" sanded of the old name repainted her and gave her the same name, just new letters and colors, hope we are OK, as we are still learning and sailing season is almost here 8) Fair Winds and Following Seas, Keysskipper
NoRush

Post by NoRush »

Our boat had no name when we bought her as far as we know. The PO had purchased at auction, boat had been auctioned due to lack of payment.

We named her Astraeus, from Greek mythology the father of the four winds.

Jason
S/V Astraeus
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Emergency Exit was a rename - sort of story of why is on the front page of our web site - since then while scraping the peeling stripe off the hull and dewaxing I can see yet another name under the other one. Outline of the letters is faintly scratched into the gel coat.

As far as luck afterward, she was still afloat and tied to the dock after Katrina when little else around her was !

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community ... thumbs&ck=
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

The previous owner named the boat but never put the name on the boat the only thing that had a name on it was the horse shoe that they had on the stern of the boat.

Bob
Last edited by SN691 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Archy

Post by Archy »

Smiley was named when I bought him. I might have considered a change but I really liked the smiley-face graphic on the bows and transom.

I did, however, take part in a re-naming ceremony of my parents' boat a few years ago. They bought a Roberts 25 named "Pitou" but wanted to rename it. The renaming ceremony is sort of like the naming ceremony squared.

After I (yes, this was my job, good son that I am) took off the old name, and the old bottom paint etc. we had an "un-naming" ceremony involving champagne etc. Then we had the traditional naming ceremony ("Kairos" by the way) with more champagne a few weeks later when the boat was launched.

They've had great luck with the boat, sailing it longer than any other boat they've had.

If you're not into champagne, I hear sparkiling apple juice will do just fine ... ;)

Cheers!
C22 Smiley :)
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

We went with champagne instead of the home made wine for the christening ceremon. We wanted to do it right so we bought 2 bottles of very good champange one to christen with and one to drink afterwards.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

I don't know if my Man-o-War was ever named by the previous owners. The deck is repainted by the guy I bought it from, but the hull is the original white gell coat with no sign of a name.

Should I do a denaming ceremony anyways or am I safe to just do the traditional naming cermony.

Also, is it acceptable to pop the cork and spray the boat rather than try to break a bottle on her? I'm afraid of the damge a bottle could cause to the boat (like in Caddy Shack :lol: )!
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
slane1124

Post by slane1124 »

Lee, too funny!!! Glad you asked, so I didn't have to!!
Robbie
'76 Chrysler 22
"Sea-Shell-E"
sail # 879
www.ndipolygraphservices.com
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

We have named our boat but have not Christened her yet but will do that before putting her in the water. We are going to spray the champange on instead of braking the bottle on her. I don't want to take a chance of putting a ding in her. Besides she might get mad at me for hurting her and payback might come sometime in bad weather. My self I would rather have champagne poured on then be hit by a bottle :wink: :lol:
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~