It followed me home

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

It followed me home

Post by EmergencyExit »

I couldn't resist. It was free. It's not my fault. I haven't been well. :wink:

It is connected to the Chrysler family.

Here we go again, but a much simpler project for 2008.

www.att.net/p/pwp-bantam
Leeway

Post by Leeway »

Looks kinda like my "free boat" project.

I have been told and I now understand that there is no such thing as a "free" boat!

I have been working on a very old 16' X Cub made by Stamm boat works (Art Stamm) back in the 50's or 60's. It looks very much like the present day x class, but has all wood spars.

Good Luck on your new project.
Lee Hoeppner
Boat: C-15 Man-o-War
Name: Sea'chele
Year: Pre-1973
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I bought a Sunfish the same age as I am, it's part renovation training exercise and part future trainer play toy for me, the kids and grand kids. I/they can load it in the truck and haul it anywhere, and setting it up takes only a few minutes.

The wife says "won't it turn over real easy"......yep, that's half the fun !
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

I spent quite a bit of time initially ( before I bought my Chrysler 22) looking for something about the size you found, most were asking more than I was willing to pay and or looked like they would be more project than I was up too but that one looks like it is in pretty good shape and should be lots of fun.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Am hoping it will be a lot of fun, and be a bit more stable than the Coronado C15 I have for a fun boat now - hoping a younger club member will buy that one !

I love history stuff - good for a winter hobby -
Here's an image from the May 25th, 1956 "Baytown Briefs" where my "forebear" was employed and raced-kinda fuzzy tho. Name is "Kaigler"

He also was one of the inventors of the special supports the Alaska pipeline runs on !

http://www.wikipatents.com/4128219.html

(Sorry, didn't mean to get all off topic there....)
Gus

Post by Gus »

Nice find! For next year I'd like to get something small, so I can sail in a little local lake 20 minutes from my house.

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Windward

You know, if you have free time and gluttony for punishment

Post by Windward »

you could come help work on Windward. Or on the house! :wink:

I'm still thinking of going the other direction and either getting a second C26 for the coast, or maybe waiting and putting a larger, non-project boat there (if such a thing exists. I think they keep them near the unicorns)

Fair Winds,
Jeff
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

House repair, bah humbug.

Yeah, I've got that on the list for spring 2008 as well. A paint job there to be done as well, and a fence as well.

Jeff, after getting all the bottom paint off I didn't find any more blisters, but I did find lots of very small "holes" in the gelcoat- almost looked the same as when an insect bores into wood. Since I could see the matting those are getting fixed so they don't cause further issues. I really couldn't get a good pic of them tho
Windward

Wee teenie holes...

Post by Windward »

do need to be addressed. I'm betting you took a good sharp knife and did a little probing in a few of the holes to ensure they aren't just a portal to some delamination below. Are they big enough that they need to be filled? How many and how widespread?

You didn't ask advice, but un the absence of more info, if it were me -- and thank God it's not, this time -- I'd get to where I feel good about this being the extend of the damage, scrub down really well with warm water and TSP, rinse even better, then let it dry for a few days (or longer, even).

Next I'd wipe down with acetone, roller a coat of epoxy over the whole bottom and wait until it kicks but hasn't completely hardened, then use epoxy thickened with a filler (colloidal silica maybe) to fill them in if warranted. If I was pretty neat, there might not be much sanding. Otherwise, I'd sand until suitably fair.

If still kinda pockmarked, I'd use a less robust thickener (West System 407 or 410, I forget which just now) for the next batch to fair 'em. Once it's kicked well I'd wash down with soap and water and a Scotchbrite pad and then sand until I was satisfied, bored or depressed.

I'd roller on another coat of epoxy to seal the whole mess nicely, let kick, and follow with multiple (4 at least) coats of Interlux 2000E according to their coverage schedule. I'd then sand until smooth and follow with a couple of coats of my favorite bottom paint... maybe a third coat on the keel, rudder, stem and water line area, then sand with 240 or 320 until I was again satisfied, bored or depressed and desperate.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Good advice and appreciated as well - Windward's case of the measles was why I mentioned it to you!

There are only a few of them, maybe 8, all on the starboard side, and they are very small, maybe the size of the thick part of a toothpick. Almost look like the bug damage you see on antique furniture sometimes. (you can tell I've really looked at the bottom closely to have even found them !)

I've had the hull under wraps for a while drying out the areas of gelcoat dock damage from the storm, and a few minor blisters above the waterline - where those high side trailer bunks were held rain water against the hull, and made a few very minor ones there. Based on that I'm going to paint the topsides - I figure if it is that thin on the the gelcoat (and it is) I better take some precautions there.

Oh, boy, point to where the unicorns keep the perfect boats !
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I feel so lucky not having to deal with any below the waterline problems. As bad as my boat was on the topside the bottom was in good shape. I think it has spent alot of its life out of the water on the trailer.

Emergency when you decide to do your topside I recommend Awlgrip it gives an amazing finish. If you can live with the cream color I have a whole gallon of it left with converter that I am not going to use. :)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hey, thanks for the offer ! Wonder what shade of green $20 bills are, that might be an appropriate choice - I keep threatening to rename her "Tens and Twenties" :wink:
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I feel the same. When I bought my C-26 I thought I was spending a little more money because it was in GREAT shape. According to the seller there was not a single softspot or any other problems. The whole topside was one big softspot and there were more problems then I knew what to deal with.

I still love her just dont trust people selling older boats. I should have known better. All in all I still feel pretty lucky most of my repairs have been the same types of repairs both you and Windward have already done. I can just look at your sites and see what i need to check next.
Windward

You know...

Post by Windward »

I didn't set out to be an example in how not to do things :( , but I'm glad you've found the info useful.

I've a bunch of photos, ranging from useless to decent, documenting the masthead stuff and some other work, but simply haven't had a chance to organize and post them yet.

Right now I'm shortening the short list to the things that really really need to be done before I relaunch, with an eye to getting her wet this weekend. Don't want to be penny-wise and pound-foolish -- I'm still going to do a couple of other things on the mast that are just plain easier to do while she's here and dry -- but if I worried about changing things that basically have worked "as long as I'm at it" then I won't have her back in for months. As it stands, I've recently missed some lovely, if cold, opportunities to sail in 30+ knots, and I love that stuff.

Fair Winds,

J
Windward

By the way,

Post by Windward »

Ron, was it you who was interested in my old Edson pedestal? Really interested or just passingly curious? Keep thinking I'll either clean it up and e-bay it, but seems like always more pressing things to be done.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I was interested in the wheel but you and others have done a pretty good job are convincing me that a tiller was bettera better choice. Now that I know a little more about what I am doing I like to keep things simple.

I would love to live out of the snow belt. We have about 8" snow and the lake is so low I could not launch if I wanted.

My plan now is to get as much done as I can in the next month then leave the other smaller things for the spring and summer. Last year I did alot of work while I cruised around the local lake. I would sail all day then work in the evenings on the small things.

What ever repair pics you have I would love to see.