Chrysler 26 or Pearson 27?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
amayotte

Chrysler 26 or Pearson 27?

Post by amayotte »

Hello,

My name is Adam and I've just been given permission to join this forum, thanks to Emergency Exit. I really appreciate it.

I'd like to give a quick blurb of my sailing history before I start asking questions in order to give everyone and Idea of
where I'm coming from (don't worry it's a short blurb) .
Normally I don't do this but this forum has more of a community feeling than most and I think it would at the very least keep that feeling alive.

My sailing all started about 4 years ago ( I was 23) with a Chrysler Mutineer that a family friend had lent to me for a couple of summers.
I fell in love with sailing instantly...there really was no choice in ignoring that passion.
I wasn't very good at sailing and in fact eventually drifted the poor boat into an island. I spent the next year learning to fibreglass.
A couple years after that and after finishing my schooling I bought a Sirius 21, which I think is a wonderful boat all around. I've sailed the Sirius
for 1 season and have decided that I just want bigger. I want the room, comfort, challenge, and the beautiful lines of a larger boat.
I originally was looking at the Catalina 25 and somehow stumbled upon the Chrysler 26 and thus that is how I landed here.

So...

I've spent the last 3 weeks reading almost every post on this forum dreaming of summer (which brings sailing) and trying to decide which sailboat
will I call my new baby! - A Chrysler 26 or a Pearson 27.

Now, I haven't read a single bad thing about the Chrysler and I have to say that I really like the fact that there is this small community of
dedicated Chrysler sailors who seem to always want to help each other. There is no such forum for the pearson 27.
I've talked to many about the boat and have just recently looked at one up close.
There is lots of room, even for a guy like me who stand 6'3", and it seems like a very solid boat. I have no idea how it sails but have
heard that it is very forgiving and good for someone new to sailing such as myself.

The situation is...
I have come across a few Chryslers for sale with decent price tags but have also come across a 1989 pearson 27 for an excellent, almost unbeatable price.

Now, I live on a large lake in northern Saskatchewan which has many reefs and shallow bays. I have counted the most recent map depicting the reefs
and have found over 3000 of them...LOTS. Because of this it's important to have a low draft (swing or wing keel) and a kick up rudder,
which the Chrysler has.

So even though the draft is deeper on the pearson is it worth taking the chance to have the extra room for the good price?
(Chance being larger draft, yanmar inboard diesel, larger general upkeep, and it's probably a little more awkward to motor in bad weather.)
Does anyone know the sailing characteristics of the pearson?
Is it as easy to sail as the Chrysler?

For some reason I can't find much info on the Pearson 27 speficially. There are howto's and reviews for the 26 but not for the 27...kinda weird.
The pearson also has an inboard yanmar diesel which I know nothing about.

That is the other possible problem with the Chrysler for me. This lake does require more motoring than others sometimes and I've read some issues with
the rudder coming up and interfering with the motor. This could be a problem.

I guess in the end I want a boat that has the most room, with the smallest draft, and at the best price...that I'll be able to sail.

Well I hope this isn't too big of a post and thanks too all of those who read and/or post.

Adam
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

First off welcome to the forum.

My 1977 C-26 is the first boat I have owned and I have learned how to sail on it. I have been on a few Catalina boats as crew but that is about the limit of my sailing experience. From my limited experimence I have not been on a better balanced boat. It almost sails itself. I like the C-26 because I can trailer it pretty easy. The draft is a little more then 24" and that makes it easy to get in and out of some shallower areas. It is also nice to know if you do ground it with the keel down you can always bring it up and you are free.

If you can find one in good shape then I would go for it. Regardless of what you get it will take some work. You will see from this board that many of us have reworked alot of the C-26 problem areas. So there is alot of information on what to look at when buying a C-26.

Good luck!

R
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hi! Welcome to the forums. I own a C-22, but I have been aboard a Pearson 27 (might have been a bigger one), and I liked it. The cabin is huge, shower, inboard diesel, seemed like a very solid well constructed boat IMO.

Good luck!

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Well thanks for the replies.

I have some deciding to do.

adam
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You've probably seen it, but there is a P27 owners list at
http://www.lengel.net/p27/.

I'd ask about the condition of the diesel esp. if the price is really good

I can't comment on the sailing traits of the P27, but here's the trade offs as I see them.

From what I see comparing the two, the P27 fixed keel has a foot more of draft than the C26 swing keel. (3'4" vs 2'3"). One of the nice things about a swing keel is of course the ability to run at at 5' draft, and when you ground, raise the keel to 2'3" and sail away. Same thoughts for the fixed rudder vs kickup.

On the other hand, there's no keel cable, and hinge pin, etc. issues with the fixed keel. At least until you ground hard and rip the fixed one loose.

The P27 is heavier, 5800 vs 5000. has 2175# ballast vs 1900 for the C26

It is definately seems a little roomier inside, headroom is about the same - 9' vs 8' beam also.

The LWL is about 22' on both, sail area P27 carries 330sf with a 100% jib, C26 about 260.

I know I'm being no real help here, and obviously I'm biased - if you've gotten a bad feeling about the rudder kicking up on the C26, thats probably my fault for whining about it. <g> If you maintain the lines, and secure it properly, it shouldn't be a real issue.

Keep us up to date, if you look at a C26, feel free to ask about anything you see that concerns you !

Beau