Neglected 1977 Chrysler 26 in Florida

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Gus

Neglected 1977 Chrysler 26 in Florida

Post by Gus »

up for grabs on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1977-Chr ... 0016338583

So bad I don't have a trailer for a 26, otherwise, I'll try to snatch it.

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

A bit too far from me, and I already have 2 boat to restore this winter, otherwise I would bring it here and sell it back for more after a bit of work

If you want it, rent a big trailer and make/have made a craddle, that's what I did when I picked up mine in rhode island. If you choose to go on with this project I can give you some measures
Gus

Post by Gus »

Thanks for your offer, but if I show up with another boat, my wife will summon me wit the divorce papers :)

Gus
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

It does look in sad shape, but I've seen as bad or worse - mine when we bought her !
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

Sad shape? It is in better shape then what I started with. I wished mine looked that good when I started. I really really really paid to much for my boat.

to bad it is so far away.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

If it makes you feel better everyone pays too much for their boat !

I've got that old 1964 Rhodes Bantam that was given to me free to fix up, and I paid too much for it ! Or I will have soon ! :wink:
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

What upsets me about my boat purchase other then me being stupid, was to trust the previous owner when asking questions about delamations and possible softspots. the reply was zero the boat is as solid as a rock. Come to find out the whole topside was a giant soft spot. Go figure.

Live and learn. I knew little about boats then.

no more soft spots :)
Gus

Post by Gus »

I over paid for my first boat too. I bought a Macgregor Venture of Newport without even looking at it, boy it was in sad sad shape.... but at least the 2.5K went to founding to a sailing program for a college in Florida, but I did learn my lesson. I did get some of the money back when I sold the boat on eBay two years later, and the buyer put some money into the boat, turned around and sold it for about 4K or so.... I'm soooooooo glad that my C-22 is in great shape, I had to do the minor repairs here and there, but nothing major. That 26 will go for about 500-600 bucks IMO
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Hi Guys,
My C-22 came to me through my Brother in NJ. He owns a Got Junk franchise and a client had him take the boat away.
He charged the owner $500 to take it, trailer and all!!

He towed it to a marina and they said it was ready to sail. Needed a kicker.
Everything is there except the galley.

We went to NJ last June hooked up the trailer and drove straight thru w/ no problems. Been sailing her till it turned cold.

I have since sold the original trlr and fitted a 2005 galvanized trlr to her.

You all know, even a FREE boat is not FREE!! :)

I'm with RC. I am ready for some warm weather!! To cold to even work on the boat!! :(
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Hey guys, seriously and I hate to say/write it..but....this looks like a good
boat for parts, anybody..partyguy..you live a couple hours away, I need stuff yall need stuff, it looks like it was a liveaboard, I guess I was lucky
in some ways and unlucky in others, what do we expect for 30+ year old sailbots, we ALL need parts, by the way send a little cold front kinda hot this week 8) KS
Gus

Post by Gus »

I think there's some more life left in that 26, at least is floating and the mast is there! :)
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

KS, unfortunately I'm a little farther from Venice than that. That's part of my current issue. I'm in Crestview/Destin area of the panhandle. My boat is in Tarpoon springs. It's about 6 highway hours to tarpon springs, 7 or 8 to Venice. I probably sailed right by this boat when I was moving "Ya Never Know" from Cape Coral where I bought her to Tarpon Springs.

How did you know I need parts? Have you been sneaking out to my boat? Oh, I get it, everyone needs parts.

Anyone know where I can get a tiller head for cheap. How about a mainsail. Or a boom vang. Maybe a jib sheet.

Darin
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

If I had a trailer and some place to put it I would bid on it. Over the winter I got good at fixing all the problem spots. I would hate to part it out seriously she looks like she is in better shape then mine was and a bit of sanding and awlgrip she would look so nice. I have enough extra awlgrip :)

MGA I think you need to upsize to a 26. My storage unit will be empty next month. hint hint hint
Gus

Post by Gus »

It wouldn't be a bad idea to fix her and sell her, check out the prices used sailboats are going for on eBay! :shock:
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

RC,
Saw your message!
Why would I want to buy a C-26?
I have a buddy in columbus that has one and I can go with him!! :)

hint hint hint
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Well,

Guess it's time to admit I bought another boat, a Catalina 27. It's a '76 in decent shape with the Atomic 4 gas engine. The price was good, but it's trailer was awesome and was built for a 32 ft boot, so I'm planning ahead. I just couldn't find a Chrysler 26 on the west coast!! If I had I woulda bought one last summer.

I still have my Chrysler 22 and plan to keep if for some time, the Catalina will be a project boat for a while. You all seem to be fortunate having the options to even bid on such a boat! Seriously, not one C-26 on the west coast all summer/fall last year!

Billy
STEVE ROYER

BOAT ON EBAY

Post by STEVE ROYER »

I GOT MY C26 ON EBAY 50 MILES FROM HOME IN EXCELANT CONDITION BOAT AND TRAILOR . WON IT FOR 4000 SO YOU CAN FIND THEM IT TOOK ME 2-1/2 YEARS BUT THEY DO COME ALONG
Gus

Post by Gus »

Bhacurly wrote:Well,

Guess it's time to admit I bought another boat, a Catalina 27. It's a '76 in decent shape with the Atomic 4 gas engine. The price was good, but it's trailer was awesome and was built for a 32 ft boot, so I'm planning ahead. I just couldn't find a Chrysler 26 on the west coast!! If I had I woulda bought one last summer.

I still have my Chrysler 22 and plan to keep if for some time, the Catalina will be a project boat for a while. You all seem to be fortunate having the options to even bid on such a boat! Seriously, not one C-26 on the west coast all summer/fall last year!

Billy
Good buy. I have been thinking in a big Catalina so I can live aboard for when my wife kicks me out of the house, but I think I can handle wit the 22 'till I finish college :)

Gus
Gus

Post by Gus »

$1,350 :shock:
thepartydog

Relisted

Post by thepartydog »

It was relisted.

Darin
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Gus

Post by Gus »

yeah, I saw it today... guess the buyer took a look at the boat and decided that the bid was too high maybe?
squint

Post by squint »

I saw that too, tagged as a favorite in ebay.

Too far for me, but I'll say this: I paid WAAAY too much for my c22, and I wish it had been in the same shape as that c26.

I REALLY like the c26... are their any other 26' boats with a swing keel? That's a real advantage for the type of river sailing I do.

I'd take a tiller over a wheel though.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I don't know about that, Squint -

Don't get me wrong, I hope somebody makes her right again, but if you look closely looks like a lot of tropical growth on that hull, the use is stated as having been salt water, the port side is a bit banged up, and in the pics that shows the lower part of the winch stand it looks awful green mat have gotten very wet.

Not trying to be critical, I honestly had a bid in mind myself, but..I thought it went a bit high the first time, tho, considering the pics.

Of course I've seen as bad - mine !
askme233

New to the Board with this aquisition

Post by askme233 »

I had a planned visit to SWF and we had seen this initial auction come and go.

My delayed fligth had me sitting in an airport as the auction was closing and we gave the old, what the old"what the heck" we can pick it up tomorrow.

Look for a bunch of new posts on out progress.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

All right then ! She's got a new home ! Good ! (so how bad was the bottom growth ?)
askme233

Endangered

Post by askme233 »

I think some of the bottom growth might have been protected species...

Seriously it had been sitting for a year+ and had gone beyond just barnacles (damn those things slice when you have to swim for the keel) to include honest to goodness coral formations.

A drive in car wash pressure sprayer and some elbow grease took care of it.