Leaking Hull to Deck Joint????

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
NoRush

Leaking Hull to Deck Joint????

Post by NoRush »

I have noticed some leaking in the v-berth, particularly into the compartment in the bow.

Problem 1, this compartment does not drain to the bilge.

Problem 2, v-berth cusions getting wet.

I have eliminated the forward hatch from the list of suspects and now believe that water is coming in down the hull behind the headliner.

Is this a common source of leaking on the C26? Best approach to resolving the problem?

I read of another member resealing with 5200.

Input appreciated.

Luckily it doesn't rain too often, but weather will be perfect for tackling this soon.

Jason
S/V Astraeus
1980 C26
Gus

Post by Gus »

Have you checked the lifelines stanchions or the bases in the bow pulpit?

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

Is this a common source of leaking on the C26?

Maybe, mine appear to have been repaired at the deck/hull joint in the vberth as there is some expoxy running on the side, it's not leaking anymore.

Cant help you more, I have started inspecting this joint but as its not leaking, I wont do much work on it.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I also had leakage into my Vberth. In my case it was easy to track where the water was coming out. It was basically around the alum channel that is around the inside of the forward hatch. The source of this water was the mast step itself. The screws that hold this down were not sealed and the water would make its way into the top of the hull and find its way to the hatch then leak. I was lucky there was no delamination because it appeared to be leaking before I got the boat. Everything on the topside was leaking on my boat.

The way the deck/hull tranisition is made if the toerail is sealed on the top well it would be tough for ALOT of water to leak into that area.