C-26 outboard control question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EricBerg

C-26 outboard control question

Post by EricBerg »

Hi folks.
Question, how many of you have remote controls for your outboard? How about those that open up the lazarette and just use the outboard handle controls? I've a chance to convert one way or another and am looking for advice.
How many of you remove your engines on a routine basis? Does that make a difference to you? If you go blue water sailing, do you remove the engine after you're underway? Stow in on the cabin sole?

Thanks in advance.
Eric in South Dakota
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Funny you should ask - am just taking a break from setting up remote controls on mine ! I bought a Chrysler throttle/shifter for my Sailor 280 on Ebay ($40), it is installed on the starboard side of the cockpit just behind the portlight. I have a keyed ignition switch right by it, and on the lazarette bulkhead (just above the starboard cockpit drain) is a push-to-start button (armed by the ignition switch), a push-to-kill button, and a remote choke cable. Thinking of adding a neutral light as well.

I'd post a pic but my camera out of town on Easter duty, can do on Tuesday tho. It is going to be nice to handle everything from the tiller position !
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

I also have the inboard controls but mine are the port side with power tilt button on the handle. The keyed ignition switch is just above port cockpit drain It also has auto choke. When eng is cold you push in on the key when starting eng.Also have an amp meter just above the ignition switch.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

I'll install remote control too, controlling to outboard with tiller was a PITA last summer. Especially starting it with crank.

I'm looking for a Tohatsu 9.9, or a yamaha high trust...but there's a good difference in price between the two
NoRush

Post by NoRush »

I have wanted to put a remote on my Nissan 8 (2 cycl). I contacted my local Nissan marine, but they didn't even bother to get back to me.

Is it possible to use another brand?

Thanks

Jason
S/V Astraeus
1980 C26
EricBerg

Post by EricBerg »

But do you ever take the motor off? Would that make a difference if you had controls?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

No way that Chrysler Sailor 280 is coming off ! First the connectors at the motor end are hard to reach inside and hook up. And I had a bit of a time getting everything aligned between the motor and the shifter (neutral, point where it goes in gear, idle setting, full throttle, etc).

That of course may just apply to that old motor of mine !
SN691
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SN691 »

I agree with EE. No way am I going to remove my motor, with all that has to be disconnected. besides my Mercury weights 108 lbs and where would you stow it if removed.
Bob

1979 C-26

Easy Street

~~~_/)~~~
Gus

Post by Gus »

you guys have a sturdy and molded in the hull motor mount, I wish I could leave the motor in its mount when I trailer the 22, its a PITA to lug that monster around! by the way, I'm looking for remote controls for my Mercury 9.9 long shaft, no luck finding any :(

Gus
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
STEVE ROYER

Post by STEVE ROYER »

CHECK EBAY I FOUND ONE FOR A OMC 25 HP THAT I HAD . THEY POP UP ON THERE ALOT GOOD LUCK . I JUST NEED TO REROUT MY CONTROL CABLES .THE ONE THAT HAD THE BOAT BEFORE MY RAN THEM THROUGH THE DRAIN HOLE AND IT DONT REALY LOOK RITE SO THATS ANOTHER ONE OF THOSE PROJECTS IM LOOKING AT . ALWAYS SOMETHING TO DO
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Where's the most comfortable place to mount the controls? I've got a yamaha 9.9 and got the controller box with it.

Darin
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Gus

Post by Gus »

eric: when I go sailing in the ocean, and if there's a lot of waves, I tie a line around the engine, and i wrap it around the life lines, no way I'm removing the engine under way, it is waaaaaaaay to heavy.

Gus
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

No way I'm removing mine too.

Do you guys have feedback on Tohatsu 10hp motors? They are not sold up here but I'm considering have one shipped at the border (Can/US)
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Hi Guys,
I just saw Gus's message about wrapping the motor. In my youth I basically lived on the water.
We ALWAYS secured / tied our outboards to the eyelets on the transom.
From one side to the other and loop it thru the metal bar on the front of the outboard.
Too many people have a mount, etc come loose and the only thing holding it is the gas line and your controls (if there are any).

Take a good sturdy line w/ snaps on each end makes it pretty easy.
Not tight but not so loose it hangs and fouls the prop.

It will save you some heartache and a lost motor.

Still waiting for the weather to break to get on the water here in ohio. :(

Gus, I wil be on Albemarle Sound in a couple of wks if you are going to be around. Let me know and I will PM you details
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Gus

Post by Gus »

Jeffrey: next couple of weeks its spring break for me (7-11 April) I 'think' I have my phlebotomy clinicals that whole week though :( In another website I participate, a group of sailors go from here NC to the sailfest in Newport VA. I've been told its a great trip to do.

When I got my boat, and I regret I didn't took any pictures, the bolts holding the motor mount were rusted to almost the point of break. I'm still pondering how the DPO went sailing with the mount in that condition. I replaced everything with bigger SS bolts, and a HUGE backing plate. I have two lines securing the outboard when I'm out in the sound. One its a regular line, and the other its a wire secured with carabiner clamps to the lifelines stanchions (better safe than sorry)

Gus
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

mine is likely OEM and it is mounted on the inner side of the starboard lazerette.. it is midway about and it is nicely simple...control cables go inside teh lazerette strait back out the transom and to the OB. my control is a simple Chrylser throttle lever ( I can use my feet!) and a push/pull knob for forward nuetral and reverse. As said above, they are cheap on ebay and come from an old chrylser runabout... I recently bought a spare as the plastic on these old things deteriorates rather fast