questions from a new C-26 owner

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
RedCanyon

questions from a new C-26 owner

Post by RedCanyon »

I wonder if some of you might take a few moments and help get me up to speed on some questions I've got.

Are all C-26's set up with jib blocks attached to the toerails? Or are there some using jib cars and tracks? Do any of you adjust jib blocks for light wind / heavy wind? Or keep the blocks the same place all the time?

Any ideas on how to size an asymmetrical spinnaker / gennaker for a C-26?

Where do I begin to shop for quad rollers to add to my already decent, but more challenging to launch from, trailer??

If you trailer your boat, do you remove the outboard every time? How far would you feel safe trailering with a 100 lb Honda 4 still on the mount? I live a mile from where I would launch/retrieve.

Thanks!
Keith
S/V Red Canyon
1978 C-26 #793
Colorado Springs / Lake Mendota, WI
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I don't have a jib car, but you reminded me I'd seen a setup in some sailing mag to handle that using an extra line and a block. Probably everyone has seen it, but I'll include it here in case not.

The blue line being your normal jib sheet running thru an additional block, which in turn is attached to a line run thru a block attached farther up the toe rail.

Sheeting in the red line would pull the block down to the toe rail, somewhat being the same as moving your jib lead block forward on the toe rail.
dennis knudson

Redcanyon c-26

Post by dennis knudson »

I have had my 1979 C26 since 1982. Mine has the jib blocks on the perforated toe rail. I adjust according to sail size and wind conditions. Rarely have I ever had to set them more than once a day. It is always necessary when changing sail size.

My boat still has the original Chrysler sailor engine and I have only removed it twice in all the years I've owned it. Once to have a new head gasket installed and to rebuild the engine mount. Over the years the fiberglass began to crack in the corners and then the wood sub structure began to rot. I rebuilt the motor mount three years ago and it is doing fine. I have always travelled with the motor mounted. Including several trips from Lake Vermillion in NE Minnesota to Duluth and Lake Superior. The annual hauling and trips could have contributed to the deterioration of the mount but the difficulty of removing the engine and reconnecting all of the controls was not something I relished.

My trailer is a simple float off float on and is always a problem with low water.

Good luck!
RedCanyon

Post by RedCanyon »

EE, thanks for posting the multiple jib lead blocks pic. I had NOT seen it, and the idea wasn't obvious to me, anyway, except now that I HAVE seen it, it's perfectly obvious!! lol) That is really useful and I might play with that sometime. Again, thanks.

Dennis, thanks for your feedback. I suspect that one reason that you've had pretty good luck with your motor mount is that the Chrysler Sailor is likely notably lighter than the Honda 4-stroke I've got at the moment. However, since it is likely to be even more complicated than yours to mount and remove (gas, elec start, alternator, remote shift lever, remote throttle, safety wire and even the locks!) I may just suck it up and accept the risk of a future repair some day and just leave it on.

Also good to know that if I have low water issues with float on-float off, that it's the nature of the beast and not just me. In one way it's reassuring. Perhaps adding trailer rollers can be yet another project ... for when I run low on projects, you see. : ))
Keith
S/V Red Canyon
1978 C-26 #793
Colorado Springs / Lake Mendota, WI
FranS

Post by FranS »

We have a C-22 and installed plastic slides on the carpeted trailer bunks. She slips off like a greased pig!
amayotte

Post by amayotte »

Red Canyon,

I just bought a C-26 and I was really shocked that the previous owner was using the toe rail for placing his blocks too. I don't understand why that is done, since it really makes a mess of it, leaving it looking bad and worn out.

I am going to buy some track and blocks and hopefully find a good place for them, as there is little walking room alongside the cabin top. I don't know what type yet though.

I'm going to be repairing my transom this summer due to corner fatigue and the overall weathered look. Since I'm upgrading to a 15 hp johnson, which is actually lighter than a lot of 9.9 motors I've come across, I'm going to anchor the transom into the aft cabin wall to give me some piece of mind.

EE, thanks for posting that pic. It's a really good idea. However, I am a little unsure about how tangled it might get when there is no tension. A person would have to be sure to tighten both blocks before changing sides with the sail I guess.

Adam