Under Power

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Chrysler20%26

Under Power

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I finaly got my C-20 in the water, an rady to do some solow sailing. Of sure wind the bay looked fairly coam. I started my new 4 stroke Neson 20" saft, 4-horse an went to relese the bow line. When I was on the bow I could hear the geting lowder, the outbord was coming out of the water. When I got to the back of the boat, every thing looked allright, so I let go the stern an headed out. I was moveing along perty good, but as I got just past land, open water. The wind was rely blowing, so I made a quick U turn, to go back in. Will I barly had enouf power to move at all. Outboard to short an under power, When I bout the boat on E-bay it ccme with a Honda 4-stroke 25' saft 5-horse, it did a good job moving the boat. But the water pump needs to be replased, So I went with the 4-horse. Hapy I made that U-turn, if I would have goten out in the bay, I think I would be out there yet. Will I got in alright , put the boat back on the trailer, an on dry land. Took off the outbord, an went home,leving the boat behind. Now I have my 9.9 Forse 25" saft in the truck, over power YEP, under power No, No, No. The 2-stroke,9.9 has about the same weight as the 4-stroke. This is a new day, I will try agin
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

We used to move EE down the bayou to Ponchartrain with an old Merc 5hp 20" shaft, and it was useless except on the calm waters of the bayou both because it was underpowered by far, and the shaft was too short.

That 25" shaft on the Force will help a lot when you do try again, I bet.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I hope to be going in the water this weekend. I am upgradidng from the original Chrysler sailor to a suzuki 4 stroke 9.9 HP. However, I my back noticed that the 4 stroke seems heavier than the quite compact old chrysler sailor 2 stroke...anyone know if thsi will unbalance my C-26 in any way? I will also be sure to measure the shaft this week as well....I was told it was a long shaft but I don't think there is an exact standard in that meaning....I think I measure from the cavitation plate to the motor. I am also assuming that 9.9 HP will be the correct power to move the boat on the open bay and sound out here in LI
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hey, NYC, measure from the outboard's mounting bracket to the cav plate to see how far down the leg would sit. I think the distance from EE's transom mount to the waterline was 17". The little merc we had was 20", and the prop would come out of the water in anything but small chop. The Sailor 280 is about 25" I think, and is fine. The 280 is 12HP, and pushes us fine at half throttle, but of course we are inland.

If you've got that original molded mount on the transom, pay attention to any cracking in that area. It doesn't bear a lot of weight well, and tends to break at the upper corners, as well as get punched in where the lower part of the outboard's bracket rests. EE's is reinforced on the inside with an aluminum plate the bends around the mount to cover the entire inside surface
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

EE,

the PO had completely filled in teh transom , so I have a solid transom with a conventional transom mount that goes up/down..in/out of the water..it is mounted in the center of the transom and I am hoping that when the bracket is down it will hold the new suzuki deep in the water becaue we get real waves in the bay and some serious weather in the sound
FranS

Post by FranS »

NYC,
Experienced some of that real weather on Saturday in Western LI Sound. blowing a steady 20+ with signifcant gusts up to 26-27. We dropped the jib and tried to sail in on the main alone. it wa fine but we were battling the wind and the tide so we motor sailed. We have a long shaft and it was fine even though the chop was easily 3-4 feet.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

there where incredible storms on Sunday..all day out at the east end...
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

OK, I have beenusing the new suzuki 4 stroke 9.9...it is damn heavy, very heavy... I will need a new OB bracket thsi fall for sure.

Also, they tell me it is the long shaft and the cavitation plate does sit about 2-3 inches under water 9 I would prefer deeper -- anyone know how deep below the water is optimum?) but out in the open bay with a slight chop it was GREAT quiet, smooth steady odorless solid and secure...I will never want to go back toa 2 stroke again ( but may have to !) however upon putting her in reverse she was popping out of the water a bit trying now to "pull" the boat backwards rather than "push" her foward which would also push her leg deeper in the water.
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Popping out because of the attitude of the boat or because the motor was not locked in the down position ?
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I think it was not locked down enough , I think I will be sure and get a fresh OB bracket ( I have a solid transom...not oem)
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Hmmmm, the motor itself has a lock down mechanism as well to keep it from kicking up in reverse but it is best to leave it unlocked unless you are backing up just in case the foot strikes something while going forward to avoid damaging it or the motor mounting bracket. On my honda it is on the starboard side just below the head. I always forget to lock it down before backing up.
NYCSAILOR

Post by NYCSAILOR »

I think you are absolutely right.....I will double check this lock, you may have saved my reversing problems... I will investigate this weekend. I also am looking for hte relaes so that I can "turn" the motor in an emergency if my crappy OEM rudder brakes off.