Finally! An outboard!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Finally! An outboard!

Post by CaptainScott »

After months of searching craigslist and looking at outboards, today I finally bought one!

Today I found a 6hp X long shaft evinrude, 1986 model. It idles perfectly, runs smooth, and starts on the very first try!. Talk about pumping water? It almost made me have to go pee watching the stream off the back! LOL!
It even shifts in and out of each gear very firm and nicely! No slipping back into neutral! To beat all that, I managed to get it 120 bucks under my budget!

WOW! A good day!

Now the comentary . . . .
I find it amazing that of all the outboards that were very strong candidates, not one could be started for me! Well, except the one I bought. I made it very clear to every seller, " make it run or I'm not interested in even making an offer". I need an outboard not an anchor. So many said well, if you just buy this 5 dollar part it'll run!!!!! I even had on guy totally blow me off! We agreed to a day and time and that I'd call 1 hour before to confirm the visit. 4 unanswered calls later, I gave up! That night I received an email indicating "maybe tomorrow" he'd be available! LOL yeah right!

Guess I just set my standards to high for CraigsList! LOL!

Either way, I believe I picked up a prefectly good OB motor for a very reasonable price for both parties.

I now am looking for the last items to make Lady Di seaworthy! A decent set of sails! I can borrow from Lady Jo but I am avoiding that as much as possible!

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Reminds me of the one I bought on Ebay that was described as "running last time I used it"

I have learned that this phrase must mean "I was out on the water using it to get in when it quit on me and I haven't 'used' it since then" because technically that makes it a true statement, and what I bought was in sad shape indeed and certainly nowhere near running now !

It has made I nice parts motor for the other Sailor 280 that does run
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Bummer! Sorry to hear that.

A lot of outboards are perfectly good but folks don't drain the fuel out of the carb and fuel pump. The fuel turns into a mess over time. I've done that myself. That'll NEVER happen to me again! LOL! rebuilding little carbs is not my idea of a fun day!

Scott
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

congrats on the new OB lets hope it gives her true hull speed, my Honda 9.9 has been great ( knocks on wood ) BUT the one flaw is a bad one the
water pumps thru a U hose that always clogs, does anyone else have that problem? good luck with your new toy Capt. Scott 8) KS
mga1951

talking about outboards

Post by mga1951 »

I purchased a 4 stk 6 hp merc last year. I keep it in a heated garage over the winter. Last spring it kept sputtering and giving me fits. Took it in on warranty and they almost did not repair it.
The mechanic told me what to do each time out. Un-hook the gas line and let the engine run till it dies. Also he said to always use a gas conditioner.
This will keep your outboard in good running condition.
I have since had to sell this motor and get an electric start because of the dis-located shoulder I had earlier this spring. When that happened, my wife and I decided she would not be able to pull start the merc. Never can be to safe when your on the boat!!
Sad we never had to do that in the old days.
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks KS,

Hey Jeffrey,
any idea what speed the 6HP merc pushed you along?
Hopefully around 5kts?

Thanks!
Scott
FranS

Post by FranS »

Scott,

We have a 7.5 Merc Long Shaft. We can get hull speed with the throttle at about 3/4's. Our bigger problem has always been that in the chop we usually experience in the LI Sound the prop gets exposed. We lowered the motor mount as much as possible and shift weight aft to aleviate the issue.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks Fran!
Sounds like 6hp is pleanty assuming no foul weather.

I know the shaft is pretty long so I may be OK.

I mounted it last night. The lower cavitation plate is a couple of inches below the lowest point in the stern when the outboard bracket is down. I may be OK with some chop. If not, I'll just sit my fat butt on the far stern of Lady Di and sink her in a few more inches!!! LOL!

Got a picture here if interested!
Lady Di and new to her outboard

The orange extension cord is for the Christmas lights on the mast!

Scott
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Looks like that OB was kept inside, what a find!
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Hey Scott,
Yes the 6 hp was plenty for our C-22. We have sailed w/ that motor in some big water on the east coast. 2-4ft waves and headwind 15-20 and we moved right along.
I am sure yours will do great.
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Windward

Post by Windward »

You shouldn't have much trouble with top speed in calmish conditions... might not hit hull speed, but should be pretty close. As several have pointed out, the bigger concern is always bucking high wind, strong current, big waves or wakes, or stopping before you piton the dock. If power's not what you want once you put it to the test, you might try a high thrust prop. Typically these are lower pitch, and often more blades and/or wider diameter. This tends to rev the motor higher, and you might lose a couple of tenths of top end, but will provide more grunt in pushy conditions, and often makes a significant difference in reverse. The Johnirude's have a wealth of prop options at relatively reasonable prices.

Since my Sailor 250 went on sporadic holiday, I installed a Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke. On the advice and confirmation of Elvin at InternetOutboards.com, I added a high-thrust prop, which went to 4 blades instead of 3, and the hub is actually 3/4" wider than the lower unit gear case. This does nothing in forward, but in reverse it permits exhaust to go forward so that it doesn't cause cavitation and greatly increases stopping power.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Thanks for all the input everyone! Yes indeed the motor looks fantastic! Even looks better under the hood! I was very impressed with how easy it started. Even had nice compression on the pull. Ran perfectly and the guy seemed to know his stuff. Now that is a guy I like to buy from!

No I can't wait to put her in the water but it is supposed to snow this Saturday and I have sea trials with a guy looking to buy a boat on Sunday!

Sheesh! All this sailing and it is getting chilly! LOL!

Scott