Flotation

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
okchance

Flotation

Post by okchance »

Is the built in Styrofoam flotation needed if the boat is staying in smaller lakes? No plans for blue water or any of the Great Lakes. I'm seeing lots of potential storage space.
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout
1962 Pearson Triton Tramp
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Some folks have removed the flotation and used the additional space for stowage...you don't need the flotation as long as you keep the boat above water.
Bill
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

No really sure how effective the flotation in a C22 is overall, but then again the only boat I ever saw sink (Starwind 22) was in a small lake..
okchance

Post by okchance »

Astrorad, I'll keep that in mind. And just how did the Starwind put itself into the position of sinking?
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

The flotation in the C22 was supposed to allow the boat to be fully flooded and still keep it afloat , but with most of the boat under water. That is the way I understand it. Many of our C22's have water saturated foam flotation in the starboard side...mine did have a little water in it but I removed the rusted out steel plugs on the top of the settee and cored some holes thru the foam with a 1/2 inch thinwall conduit. I also drilled a 1/4 inch hole laterally at the low point of the settee side to allow drainage. My core was moist about 3 inches from the bottom, but is now almost completely dry after three years on the hard. I have stopped all leaks from the hull/deck joint and portlights and now she stays dry thru the rain.
Bill
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Starwind had a broken keel cable and was slipped at club in bad thunderstorm. I think the keel slammed up and down and blew out the keel pocket, but that was just my theory. Others said it got swamped over the stern.

Small lakes can get very violent very quickly. One time EE was bouncing so hard in a summer storm that I couldn't even get aboard at the bow ! Of course those sudden summer thunderstorms don't happen everywhere like here..
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Just last weekend I replaced the brass thru hull fitting that guides the keel cable to the winch (pictures and story to come).
When I got my new thru hull fitting is was labeled "NOT FOR USE BELOW WATERLINE" :?
How could this be?? It's the exact replacement part, that has been in the boat for 35 years. Which made me think about this post.
Could it be that Chrysler installed floation in the C22 as a backup to the rather weak link of the thru hull and hose to above waterline setup that the C22 uses to route the keel cable to the winch. Everthing I have ever read about below waterline thru hull fittings is that they should have a valve to be able to close the fitting of the hose fails. Since the keel cable runs through the fitting there is no way to install a valve to close the fitting if the hose fails, thus flooding the boat with a 5/8" stream of water :shock:
...Just a thought, and be sure to inspect your keel cable hose and clamps often 8)
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Capt. Bondo wrote:Since the keel cable runs through the fitting there is no way to install a valve to close the fitting if the hose fails, thus flooding the boat with a 5/8" stream of water :shock:
I saw a pic of a Chrysler with a ball valve on the cable once. With the ball open the cable can pass thru the opening. And theory is that if the cable breaks it will fall thru the valve and you'll be able to close it then..but as you say that doesn't help if the hose fails
okchance

Post by okchance »

I'm thinking that more storage is more important than the limited added safety of the flotation. By the way, are there any Sailing Addict support groups out there? I'm thinking I need to start my 12 step program before it is too late.
1977 C-22 S/V Bailout
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

okchance wrote: I'm thinking I need to start my 12 step program before it is too late.
Oh, there's already a 12 step program..Over the years having bought a Chrysler C26, a Coronado 15, a Cal 21 (since sold), dragging home a free Rhodes Bantam, and buying another Chrysler C26 for the trailer and some parts (also sold)..the redhead has put me in a 12 step program..she says if I go within 12 steps of another boat she will beat me with my own tiller 8)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hi,
I'm Scott, I'm a recovering . . . . . . . ., and my wife also has me on EE's 12 step program . . . . !

Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I don't know about the 12 step program, but this is your support group!
We are all in this together :wink:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I was on the 12 step program but as retirement gets closer I may be allowed to look.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/