Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

Hello new member here. I am a second generation Chrysler 22 owner. My dad bought a C-22 in 1978 and it was the boat I learned to sail on. He got bitten by the bigger boat is better bug. He went to a 26' S-2 then a 32' Bristol. With every boat he kept saying I should have kept the Chrysler it was the best sailing boat. Last spring I began looking for a trailor sailor and only had one boat in mind. In August I found my Chrysler. It took a little elbow grease but it was in the water by Labor Day weekend. I sail on Lake Michigan out of St. Joseph Michigan. Sailed until the end of October.

Over Christmas break I hauled it to Sunshine Key in the Florida Keys and had two great weeks of sailing.

I have three boys 16, 10 & 7 and my wife and I have been having fun teaching them the joy of sailing.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Awesome story and thank you for sharing!
Sounds like you picked a nice solid boat to play with too!

Thanks for joining and . . . .
Welcome aboard!
Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard ! Nice looking boat there
Gus

Post by Gus »

Hi! Nice photo! Your picture sure makes me miss sailing now!!
You'll like it here, nothing but good folks!
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
FranS

Post by FranS »

Welcome. Loved the story. makes my heart warm. :-)
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Welcome aboard!

Like the teaching the kids part,, cool

Billy
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Welcome Aboard, fine folks here, let me know when you want to come to the Keys again, we are in the rental biz, alittle further down the Keys.KS
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Welcome great to have you aboard
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

Keysskipper,

What Key are you on? My first trip to the Keys was in the early 70's when I was 6 or 7. My grandparents retired to Long Key in 1975. I spent Christmas and spring breaks there for many years. I even drove over the old narrow bridges. My dad trailered his C22 there until he sold it then he bought a Chrysler Buccaneer that he kept in the Keys. We have been meeting my parents at Sunshine Key over Christmas break for about ten years. One of the reasons I bought my C22 was to bring it to the keys.

Could you send me some info about your rentals?
Mike
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Second Gen.

Ah, so you experienced the thrill of the old bridges! how far down did you go as a kid? that almost makes you a freshwater conch!! my grandfather came here right after the overseas hwy. was completed just two years after the famous labor day hurricane of 35, the strongest hurricane to ever hit the US.

we live on Summerland Key roughly 17 miles SW of Sunshine, we have rentals from MM 32-15 all with deep water dockage, we offer deep discounts to our online sailing community, I can send you a link but you must contact me for the special pricing.

to answer a previous question you posted: we do not have trailers for our sailboats, and we rarely travel to the Mainland, but we do travel quite a bit by boat, we have go to the Bahamas, Cuba, St. Thomas and the Exumas, I have a sponsor in Cuba so we can go, but still a major pain even though just a long day sail, hope that changes soon. enjoy your new baby and come on down for lobster season. 8) KS
Gus

Post by Gus »

oh man, it'll be so cool if it changes, I'd love to sail from Key West to Cuba and spend some time over there.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

Keysskipper,

I have made at least one trip to Key West almost every time I have been in the Keys. My first trip as a kid we camped at Venture Out but I cann't remember what key it is on. Then my parents bought a site at Outdoor Resorts which is where my grandparents ended up living. I have even been to Fisherman's Hospital a few times. One thing my mom loves to do is go to the Big Pine Flea Market on Saturday mornings.

I would be interested in the link to the rentals you handle.
Mike
keysskipper

Post by keysskipper »

Mike,
we have probably crossed paths before! At least on the Overseas Hwy!!
Venture Out is on Cudjoe Key, we lived on Big Pine for years, we have a property that may be perfect for you on Big Pine especially if you want to be closer to waters you know it is bayside but not a problem with your draft, you should come down during lobster season we will go get some bugs together! we know where all the "casitas" are!! sshhh 8) KS