Bought another C-22... somewhat of a basketcase!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bought another C-22... somewhat of a basketcase!

Post by turbo1168 »

After all the planning to build a trailer, I ended up buying another Chrysler... with trailer this time! Saw it in the Orlando Craigslist listings. It came with a Honda 7.5 hp and 4 sails. Paid for it tonight and am going back over with the Bronco this week to haul it home. That's the good part. Apparently, it sorta partially sank at the dock. The keel pin was leaking due to it sitting in the mud with the keel down when the lake water level dropped. The owner told me it then was stuck in the mud and it took a massive amount of energy and time to get it out. You can see how far down it sunk, the slime line is about a foot above the waterline stripe. The deck looks like it was painted at some time with who knows what kind of paint and it is all chalked up and flaking away. Not a single line on the boat is good, but all the standing rigging is there as is the spars. Not sure yet what we are going to do with the boat yet. I guess we will make a command decision after getting it home. Fortunately it has quite a few intact parts we needed for the other boat, such as the lazarette covers and fuel tank cover.

mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Nice pick-up, Turbo!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

looks like a nice trailer hope you got a good deal we all need this or that let us know what you decide to do with it
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sometimes a basket case is not so bad!
I am on my second basket case now! LOL!

I bought a c22 a while ago with intent on stripping and dumping but I just could not do it! It was to nice! So what did I learn? NOT A THING! Did it again! However I partially blame Alan Hodge since he was with me the second time! LOL!

Congrats on your buy! I hope it works well for you!
Scott
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

We might fix this one up and sail our original one while we do and then swap them at the dock. Then repeat the procedure for the original one, paint decks and hull, refresh and rebed all the hardware, etc. Our marina and ramp is 2.5 miles from the house, meaning a single axle trailer without brakes is sufficient for one of the boats. This trailer isn't quite set up right for the boat. I will re-do the bunks, brakes, bearings, wheels and tires on this one to make a nice heavier trailer for our future trips to the keys and such.
blu by you

bought

Post by blu by you »

way to go let me know if its to bad to save and you part it out
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Good luck on the refurb!! Nice to see another one come back from Davy Jones'!!!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
turbo1168
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by turbo1168 »

Well, made it home... FINALLY! Went over today to pick up the new boat, driving my fathers Bronco without A/C. With the help of the P.O. I repacked the wheel bearings, swapped out 2 of the tires and wheels, packed up all the stuff on the boat and pulled the rudder off. The drive home went perfectly except for the 4,276 stoplights (OK, not that many, just felt that way as I caught every single one) along the way! I took S.R.92 all the way back instead of the interstate, as I was still worried about one of the original tires. It took 4 hours to get it back, but at least I wasn't trying to repair something on the side of the road. I will be posting pics tomorrow.