What to do with pop-top in preparation for deck painting?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
dennyzen
Site Admin
Site Admin

What to do with pop-top in preparation for deck painting?

Post by dennyzen »

I already have half the hardware removed for rebedding and I have decided to go the whole route and remove most of the rest of the hardware in preparation for painting the deck. (Epoxy on the dings and cracks, then I am going to roll and tip the Systems Three primer and LPU--but not until spring.)

As I was removing the snaps for the canvas covers around the sliding hatch I realized that there was more deck UNDER it. Also when I was washing around there, I realized I was getting a lot of dirt from under the pop-top. And as I sat on it, I heard some hardware (the struts for it) clang a bit.

Should I remove it, as I have all the other hatches? How hard is that to do? How heavy is it? How hard is it to put back? Without the mast up, I don't think it will stay up so in its normal up position so that I can work under it.

Any suggestions?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1979 Chrysler 22--flatwater sailing on Lake Jacomo
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Well,

It's just me but if I'm doing something like that I have the tendancy to rip everything off. Now I don't have the pop top so no help to you there, sorry...

I know on my project boat the sliding hatch is big, heavy, and awkward. I dropped it once. With two people it shouldn't be bad, or slings and pulleys from above.

About rebedding, I just ordered some Butyl tape which is apparently not all the same. This guy's excellant how to has a place to order the tape from on the 3rd page:
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/rebe ... are&page=1
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Here's what I ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAY-BUTYL-PUTT ... es&vxp=mtr

It's thicker than what the guy calls for but it's nice. Gonna use it for all my hardware next spring after painting, but I have used it on a couple other projects--nice stuff.

Maybe what he has is better, I dunno, but I'm happy with what I have. And at 20 rolls for $60, affordable too.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
dennyzen
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dennyzen »

Back to the pop-top, I was trying to visualize how propping it up with wood blocks would do--sort of how I raised the hull when filling the blisters. But that would block access to the deck under them.

Then, I visualized a two-by-four frame rising from the cabin floor to hold it 4-6 inches above the deck. I think that might work. Will measure when I am out there today to do last minute things for what is probably our last warm weekend.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1979 Chrysler 22--flatwater sailing on Lake Jacomo
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

I think Mark may be a few rolls short. 8)

Thanks again Mark!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com