Fixed keel C26, What is supposed to be inside the keel heel?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
KeyWest

Fixed keel C26, What is supposed to be inside the keel heel?

Post by KeyWest »

Is the back corner of the keel hollow? How thick is the fiberglass there supposed to be? Please see this discussion for pictures viewtopic.php?p=28433#28433

How can I rebuild a missing keel heel?
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

I'm not sure how thick it was exactly but these boats were built thicker then needed so I would figure atleast 1/2 to 3/4 thick in tthe keel which is a mixture of cement and lead shot.

The filler (bondo mix) should not hold water, must not have been done with marine matirial.

You can do the fiber glass work you just need to come up with a mold for the keel corner. Cardboard molds are a good one time setup.

Do it in layers and after you have the bottom built, have or cut a hole to add ballast.

Fiberglass is easy to work with if you don't mind the iching :roll: , if you don't get it moldeded perfectly its easy to shape when you build it thick.

I don't think we have any work lioke that going on at the boat yard but if I see some I'll take pictures.
KeyWest

Post by KeyWest »

Thanks for your reply! There's no 'ballast' because the lead pellets only fill the forward half of the keel. The back half is mostly hollow and is occupied by a bilge. What is between the bottom of the bilge and the bottom of the boat?