Repair Man o War suggestions

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
dmcutaia

Repair Man o War suggestions

Post by dmcutaia »

I am new to sailing / boating and have purchased a 1976 Man O War that needs some repairs. It seems that the holds that the bolts that hold the tiller plate to the the transom have been are much larger than the bolts themselves along with some cracks in the hull. There area also some cracks on the front of the boat in the area of the bow eye. Any suggestions at to how to best repair those area?

Another issue is how to figure out how to read the HIN that is faded? I can easily read the serial number on the exterior wall of the transom but the plate on the interior wall of the transom is very fadded.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Cutaia's
1976 Man O War
Nellie J. Banks
Connecticut / Darnley Basin. Prince Edward Island
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Congrats and Welcome!

We have a couple folks here that have Man-O-War's and have done some work on them,, hopefully they will check in soon for you!!

Not sure but I believe the serial # and the HIN are the same...

If that were my boat I would I would Dremel out the cracks, sand it all down, fill the holes with epoxy and lay up some fiberglass to smooth it all out and add strength, redrill the holes, paint the whole transom, go sailing :wink:

Don Casey has a good book on "Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair" that's good for all things fiberglass... check out this link:
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/howto_lib.htm

Billy
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard!

Billy hit the info right on the money for ya!

Scott