Let me start by saying what a grat well built boat it must be.
last friday the wife and I started out with just the day getting the boat ready to sail from Hampton Va to Bueafort NC.
Friday the Evinrude 9.9 was put on and tested along with new VHF radio -great all was set to sail out sunday morning with another sailboat that the so called more experianced owner thru the ICW. his boat had questionable rigging so he was going to have to motor the whole way were I wanted to sail as much as possible. We got as far as Norfolk and the active nave person not following channel markers grounded. And heres were the problems started. Not beliving in leaving anyone behind I tried pulling him only to have our motor die and not restart. So we sailed around waiting for help and after he was free he motored right on past with a "good luck there should be a marina around that can help you"
being that it was getting late we stopped at a boat club and was welcomed like family. so ok all is good and we will start fresh in the morning, alone.
Things went well as can be expected, fair winds ,lots to see but not sure if the Dismal ditch was going to be the best path with out motor power so the North river route seemed to be more pratical...still ICW with draw bridges and a lock to deal with but hay we can't be the only ones to do this right.
Timming is everything when the current is with you and some of the bridges open on time schedules but being told we would need to motor to enter the lock made it interesting. Good thing it was a slow day at the lock and the operator was willing to work with us so we were able to continue on. All was well even thou we were way behind planned schedule untill we heard a storm was to come in around midnight. We changed plans and figured we would find dockage in Elizabath City, just a west ward heading from the end of the North river and up the channel.
Well thats when it hit , NOAA forcasted midnight and it was only 3:30 (what gives) in about 15 minutes the waves went from 1' to 3 or 4' and control got very difficult in less then an hour we were in 6' waves and turn north in the channel was impossible and heading south west in hope to get to the other side of the Abamarth (sp) sound seemed the only thing to do.
For about 4 hours I fought 65 mph gust and 10'waves trying to keep them on the transom. When it got to dark to see and hypothermia was setting in I told the wife to call the Coast Gaurd that I wasn't sure I was going to be-able to find safety. By the time The Coast Gaurd got to us the jib had shreaded and there was no way from being tossed around with zero visability. Yes I woundered if the boat was going to flip or hold together.
I can't thant the Coast Gaurd enough for comming to our rescue even thou I knew we had to be close to shore somewhere.
We found the boat the next morning in better to be expected shape with only one bumper missing and the sails shreaded even thu I had the already very used main down and tied. It sets at a marina a little shaken but stired.
More to come

