Page 1 of 1

First outting in C-26 got wild

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:21 am
by Mario G
Sorry if the writting gets nuts but I'm still grasping our otting on the C-26

Let me start by saying what a grat well built boat it must be.

last friday the wife and I started out with just the day getting the boat ready to sail from Hampton Va to Bueafort NC.

Friday the Evinrude 9.9 was put on and tested along with new VHF radio -great all was set to sail out sunday morning with another sailboat that the so called more experianced owner thru the ICW. his boat had questionable rigging so he was going to have to motor the whole way were I wanted to sail as much as possible. We got as far as Norfolk and the active nave person not following channel markers grounded. And heres were the problems started. Not beliving in leaving anyone behind I tried pulling him only to have our motor die and not restart. So we sailed around waiting for help and after he was free he motored right on past with a "good luck there should be a marina around that can help you" :x

being that it was getting late we stopped at a boat club and was welcomed like family. so ok all is good and we will start fresh in the morning, alone.
Things went well as can be expected, fair winds ,lots to see but not sure if the Dismal ditch was going to be the best path with out motor power so the North river route seemed to be more pratical...still ICW with draw bridges and a lock to deal with but hay we can't be the only ones to do this right.
Timming is everything when the current is with you and some of the bridges open on time schedules but being told we would need to motor to enter the lock made it interesting. Good thing it was a slow day at the lock and the operator was willing to work with us so we were able to continue on. All was well even thou we were way behind planned schedule untill we heard a storm was to come in around midnight. We changed plans and figured we would find dockage in Elizabath City, just a west ward heading from the end of the North river and up the channel.

Well thats when it hit , NOAA forcasted midnight and it was only 3:30 (what gives) in about 15 minutes the waves went from 1' to 3 or 4' and control got very difficult in less then an hour we were in 6' waves and turn north in the channel was impossible and heading south west in hope to get to the other side of the Abamarth (sp) sound seemed the only thing to do.

For about 4 hours I fought 65 mph gust and 10'waves trying to keep them on the transom. When it got to dark to see and hypothermia was setting in I told the wife to call the Coast Gaurd that I wasn't sure I was going to be-able to find safety. By the time The Coast Gaurd got to us the jib had shreaded and there was no way from being tossed around with zero visability. Yes I woundered if the boat was going to flip or hold together.

I can't thant the Coast Gaurd enough for comming to our rescue even thou I knew we had to be close to shore somewhere.

We found the boat the next morning in better to be expected shape with only one bumper missing and the sails shreaded even thu I had the already very used main down and tied. It sets at a marina a little shaken but stired.

More to come

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:02 am
by EmergencyExit
Glad you are okay - well, guess you've gotten about as bad as you may ever get under your belt now ! And you came thru okay.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:23 am
by NYCSAILOR
WOW! you did the right thing!

how did the boat hold-up...? chainplates, leaks, rigging, rudder. etc...

I have the same boat, a fixed keel c-26 , early foredeck style....

did the cockpit drain? any water below...

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:28 am
by CaptainScott
WOW Mario!
That is a very tough way to start in a new boat!

Glad it all ended well with you and your crews save return.

Scott

first outting

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:25 am
by hp18carr
Mario G

My advice for you and your 1st mate to just have fun on your first outting must sound ill-advised at this point. :oops: Glad all came through it ok, stories like yours is why after I complete the overhaul on my c26 a nice lake is where I'll do my sailing... call me chicken. :wink:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26 1980
Pandora (for now)

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:58 am
by Gus
Glad you are ok.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:40 pm
by Capt. Bondo
Wow Mario G, now that is a shake down cruse. Glad your OK.
You need to dump the outboard and instal a VW diesel :wink:

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:17 pm
by Holiday
Glad to see your both are OK, and the boat was saved. I thought about you guys when I heard it on the radio. Personally I am more afraid of the cold than the rough water.

If you need a new main sail check out the J22 main sails. Looking at sites like Bacon Sails the dimesions are very similar. The J22s are popular race boats and the really serious races will get new sails every season. That leaves a lot of serviceable sails out there and they should be cheap. Haven't seen anything on the jibs.

Randall

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:20 pm
by tgentry
It sounds like you had more excitement than you bargained for. I'm glad you came out of it OK and hope it hasn't soured you or your crew on sailing.

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:38 pm
by mga1951
Mario,
I have a place on Albemarle sound. Take our C-22 down as much as possible. Read about your journey on another site. Did not expect anyone I would know. Sorry to read this. That place can turn in a minute.
Glad your safe and the boat is too!
Figured the boat was gone! It sounds like its OK!!

Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:51 pm
by lecker68
Mario glad everybody is OK and sorry to hear about the rough weather on the new boat keep us posted and try to keep it fun without the added excitement.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:54 am
by Chrysler20%26
First outting in a C-26, what a tripe glade you all made it home. You may find it hard to get your first mate back on board. I solo sail, an find my C-26 kind of sails itself, yours was left alone an servied, so I would have stayed with the boat. My C-20 & C-26 likes big waters

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:42 am
by Mario G
Thanks all
We understand it wasn't something that we could have expected and it will not discourage us from venturing out again soon. (I'm with you Holiday when it comes to the cold).

I really thought I could ride it out and if it wasn't for the freezing temps I wouldn't have had a problem but being from up-state NY I know you don't live long in you go into the water. I even tied myself to the boat.

I'm taking this as a lesson learned and know getting the C-26 is still the best choice.

And as far as the 1st mate goes she said she will never dought my sailing abilities again and will continue to sail when it gets warmer.
I couldn't hope for a better 1st mate and know she will always stand by my side so doing what I did for her sake ,I have no regets.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:46 am
by tgentry
Mario,
Our boat came with two cold water survival suits (gumby suits). Since our daughter sails with us we bought a third on ebay at a very reasonable price (about $80 I think).

If you're going to be sailing in cold water, it might give you some piece of mind to have them on board.

wow

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:54 pm
by frankyd
Wow Mario, thats quite an adventure. I have never sailed the sound but I have heard it can get very nasty and very quick. It sounds like the boat is OK and you are both OK so that is great. Im amazed you could sail the ditch.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 pm
by Gus
The sound is really shallow, so if you don't know the weather or where you are, it can get really nasty.

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:23 pm
by Alanhod

Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:35 pm
by sailbob2
Wow what a story! Glad to hear you and your 1st Mate are okay. My First Mate has the same attitude as yours (after getting caught out on Lake Huron) we still had our motor but broke our keel cable (try getting into a 4' dock depth with a keel hanging down to 6' - LOL) hang in there more fun to come. (Remember what doesn't kill us makes us stronger)

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:14 am
by Mario G
Well we were on the boat yesterday and it really servived well I'm very impressed. It was the slides that broke first on the main sail, the pcs were still in the mast and the whole front corner of the jib ripped free.

Holiday the good jib sail I have left is a mylar one that I belive is used for racing and I think I would like a matching main . (its no fun watching your sails shread) the 1st make thinks they look good also but she said she knew some how we were going to be running a big sail ( 170 )

And when She says if there were hand rails on the inside it would help incase.

Thanks Alan as you can imagine I have a hundred "what ifs" going thru my head but its the out come thats importain. As far as the engine ..it brought the debate of selling the C-22 and buing everything to make sure were as prepared as possible. :?

SailBob I know its not always going to be easy and feel I'm much stronger both mentally and physically ( pushing it to get it free is better then a day at the gym.) lol
Wait I think some friends and family wonder about the mental part after this....lol

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:39 pm
by EmergencyExit
I added some inside rails to EE last year, here's a clickable thumbnail to a pic I took when test fitting them in place.

Image

The one closest on the left is over the stove for grabbing while standing there, the other is over the banquette to assist when getting up, and there's the long starboard one the goes all the way towards the head

Posted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:51 pm
by Gus
I go by this rule: if you think you need to reef, you need a reef. It is better to be safe and be caught in bad weather with not a whole lot of sail out, than having to replace ripped sails.

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:32 am
by NYCSAILOR
I go by this rule... what would I do if my mother-in-law was on board....

That rule has saved me many times and helped me make more conservative decisions... for example.... would I want to be out on the boat with my monther-in-law and have this old 20yo outboard die on me... you guessed it .. no brainer .. ran out and got a new Suzuki 4-stroke with electric start...

Also. EE, how did you mount those grab rails... does teh hardware show on the deck?

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:28 am
by J. Austin
I love that rule!

My only problem I have is if I use that rule:

What would I do if I had my mother-in-law onboard.......

.......I would come back with one less passenger!

lol, That was mean, but......

Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:31 am
by EmergencyExit
NYC - they are still just tacked in place from inside - but they will be thru bolted when installed. EE is taking a rest on the trailer for a bit, then I'll install them as well as finish the galley. Probably after next month.

Posted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:49 am
by Capt. Bondo
Mario;
I noticed that Sailrite has the sail measurments for most our Chryslers.
How good are you with a sewing machine?

Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:41 am
by Mario G
Image

This is the clew of the genoa I was tring to use as a storm jib....there is not a stiched thread left in the 7 layers that held it together. We make custom interiors all the time and I have the sewing machine so you never know what I might try to fix.

<the edit> Just looked at the main and I think I can fix it but the genoa is just patch miterial.