newbie with a 1979 c22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hadaveha

newbie with a 1979 c22

Post by hadaveha »

ok guys be gentle i am a long time pwer boater brand new want to be sailer, took a 3 day course this spring, I just bought a 1979 c22 with trailer and 5hp outboard, I hope thats a large enough motor, sailes seem very good to be from 1979 I have a main,jib,and storm jib, I have been reading here the last cpl of weeks and from what I have read it look like I should plan on a keel pin replacement, IM embarised to say i never checked it out before, but it seems its pretty standard, I know I need to replace the cable on the keel, and all the running lines look very weatherd, well IM sure I will have more questions than a 3 year old, and Ill get some pics up next week as soon as I get her home.
Thankyou all for your great post
David
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hi David, welcome aboard ! And ask away !
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Welcome aboard, David. We've all been there and this is the place for questions. Great bunch and even better info source! Good-luck!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Greetings David!

Sounds like you have as much or more of a "ready to sail" boat than some others of us. Good going! The people on this site are a wealth of knowledge (at least we'd like to believe that). We look forward to hearing about your first time out on your Chrysler!!
Tranquil Chaos
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

well let me start driving you guys nuts rite off the bat, do you guys think the 5 horse ob is big enough i have noticed alot of guys have 9.9hp, being a powerboat guy i quess if i go out and their is no breeze at all i still want to be able to put around and enjoy a day, and allso i doubt ill get it here get a bottom job done her and get it in the water this year, so with out putting her into the water how do i know i need to go ahead and replace the keel pin, the boat has never touched salt water and has had only one owner but she has spent about 4 years sitting on the trailer in the yard.
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Andiron120 »

Well, it is not a given that the keel pin brackets will need replacing but the best way to tell off the get is to inspect from inside and out and check out how much corrosion there is. Pull the rubber plugs on the inside and look and see if it looks like there has been water leaking in. Crawl under the boat and take a flashlight and look into the keel pocket and check the condition of the metal plates. If it looks like it is very corrodid then figure you need to tackle the job, if not, put her in the water and see if you have a leak. The time period it takes depends on how hard you can hit it and how much time you have to dedicate to it. It could be done in about three days with some help, luck, a good machine shop with no waiting list, and an understanding wife. It could stretch into weeks or months without any of the above. On an inland lake, I think the 5 hp motor will be able to push you at hull speed with no problems.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
excavman

Post by excavman »

Welcome, David. I have a C22 and run an 8hp Honda just above idle to get hull speed, any more than that just squats the stearn with no gain in speed. As a former power boater you'll apreciate the 15+ mpg that small motor will get.

Larry
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Welcome aboard shipmate,

I am a reformed Bubba a.k.a. "Power Boater" :shock: but then it happened. I got some sailing lessons in 2007 and I saw the light, sail power, skilled boating. I still have boatload to learn but these guys and gals here are teaching me every day. So keep up the good work.

Now I'm on a 12 step addiction to sailing plan. I think about about sailing at least 12 times per day. :lol:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard David and we all will help.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

Welcome aboard
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Welcome aboard, David
Always inspect the keel bracket.
Since the boat was uses in fresh water, that's good.
More time on the trailer is also a plus, for saving that bracket.

A 5hp outboard should serve your purpose. You will know if you need more hp depending where you use your boat. If you need to work your way up currents/tides in channels, or you need the outboard get you out of a "situation" you may want more HP. More important is a reliable outboard, A motor that starts quickly and runs smooth is key.
Last edited by Capt. Bondo on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
John K

Post by John K »

Welcome from a fellow southerner. You are going to love the boat!
1977 C22: Dog House
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Welcome David. We accept converts here with open arms under one condition, try to convert more pb's as you go. But first things first. Enjoy that beautiful boat of yours!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Hello and welcome. I used a 5hp game fisher single cylinder on my C22 for a while and it pushed the boat just fine. The single cylinder caused some vibration. I now use a mercury 7.5 twin and it is very smooth, which is nice for those time when the wind is down but ya still want to take the boat out for a cruise. Good luck with the new boat and remember this sailing thing is a lot of work but is well worth the effort. :wink:
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

ok guys we just got her home, how can 1 boat have so many wasp nest, tomorow im gonna try and raise the mast and pressure was her, get 3 yrs of sitting in the yard washed off, good news the inside looks even better than i remeberd, cushons are in really good shape, bad news inside the kell pin has been coated with tar, i take that is because it leaks, the owner told me it never leaked enough to get out of that little compartment under the seat, but who knows i quees ill add that to the to do list but man i dread that one, ill get some pics up as soon as i can
thank all of you guys so much
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

[/quote]the owner told me it never leaked enough to get out of that little compartment under the seat[/quote]

Yikes! Good place to put a bilge pump! I'd say it's keel bracket time. I did mine last summer. Not as bad a job as I had imagined. Just be careful but don't let the weight intimidate you.

Congrats

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

My keel is going back in the next few days, weather permitting. Pics to follow.
Mark
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Welcome David!

Have fun and ask away!

Hey Mark... PM sent your way!
hadaveha

Post by hadaveha »

ok if i get her up off the trailer and on some kind of homeade craddle, and i wont be on a cement pad by the way im on gravle, how in the world can i handle that 750 lb keel seems imposable.
david

new owner 1979 c22
ABIGAIL
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

I know somebody else had shots of their work being done over gravel. I dunno how they did it, but mine's over concrete. Here's a little slide show of how I did the removal. Keel work and hull all repaired and ready for re-install SOON!

http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... =slideshow
Mark
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I did mine over gravel, not fun but can be done. You'll want to use some plywood to act as a skid plate. You will also want to use an engine hoist to manuver that thing around, it's a beast. After I got the keel out of the boat I just pulled it out from under the boat with my truck and a chain. It needed to be ground down and repainted anyway. I used 4x4's to make a sled to carry and work on the keel. To reinstall into place I used a four wheeler and a 2x4 as a lever. Any sort of block and tackle system anchored with a tree, truck frame or anything solid will work. With the keel in place I reconnected the keel winch cable and used it start the lift, I then used a floor jack and wooden blocks to lift the front into place. With a mark on the boat hull to indicate the center of the bracket hole and one on the keel to mark the hole center it's easy to align and stab the hinge pin. Good luck!
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Jmckamey wrote:..With the keel in place I reconnected the keel winch cable and used it start the lift, I then used a floor jack and wooden blocks to lift the front into place. With a mark on the boat hull to indicate the center of the bracket hole and one on the keel to mark the hole center it's easy to align and stab the hinge pin. Good luck!
Using the keel cable to lift the back of the keel is very helpful, I did that with the Cal 21 which has the added advantage that the keel is completely enclosed in a pocket like the Chrysler 26's. That helped keep the keel from flopping over once I'd gotten the rear up in its pocket. If I ever have to do that with EE (and I hope never to :shock: ) I would do the same thing..

Like you I also made marks on the hull plumb from the trunk pin hole as well as the keel pin hole, and I was suprised how easily it lined up.

Good tips, Jmckamey