Keel lock question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ronc98

Keel lock question

Post by ronc98 »

Anyone ever thought about adding a keel locking to their Keel? I am thinking about adding a locking pin to my keel so I can use when I am in deeper water
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

My 22 had some sort of plastic bolt that could be tightened against the keel to "lock" it in place but it was badly rusted nonfunctional and leaked so it found its way into the trash can, here is a picture of it http://www.byershome.net/_Boat/Keel/por ... before.JPG . I was originally worried that it would be bouncing on the cable but so far that hasn't been the case. I have yet to sail in any really large waves yet so until I do I can't say for sure that I would not want something for that issue. I asked at the time if anyone here had one on their boat and no one seemed too. Remember just because you are far out to see does not mean you can hit something floating just beneath the surface...........heck you could hit a whale for that matter. The stress on any locking bolt would be high and you risk ripping a hole somewhere below the waterline.......miles away from land. On the other hand it banging around in heavy seas could do some damage if it got violent enough but you would have the option to retract it in that case.
Gus

Post by Gus »

don't do it, if you run aground as much as I do, it will probably do some damage. My keel its kinda tight in the pocket, so there's not so much banging, but an easy fix its to raise the keel a bit (now, the cables inside the mast bang harder and noiser than the keel to give u an idea)
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
Chrysler20%26

Look at Mac's

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

My kell an rutter can be duble boated, on my Macs 25. Not only locks them down it dubles ther suport