Snubber Problem!!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
mga1951

Snubber Problem!!

Post by mga1951 »

Hi Guys,
Been a long summer since the shoulder problem. Getting closer to have the C-22, and myself on the water.
I did get to go w/ Ronc and his C-26 that was a great day.
Decided to have some repairs done and some bottom paint done.
Working on my keel brkts (they are shot from the saltwater and previous owner) the guy doing the work was taking out the Snubber and it broke off in his hand. Said I was very lucky this did not happen on the water, the boat would have SUNK!! The galvanized pipe was basically rusted thru!!

Check it out if you have not, we do not need anymore Chryslers underwater.
If anyone has any info on this snubber part, enlighten us if you may.

Thanks again.
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Banshi
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Banshi »

If by snubber you are referring to the keel lock down bolt, mine was shot as well and I just removed it and closed the hole up. I have not had any banging yet but the really heavy weather (noreaster) is not until Nov around here but I have had it out some fairly rough stuff and all you hear is the blissful singing of the cable. You might want to check the reinforcing plywood in the area if it was in bad condition it may have let water in to this area. Mine was completely rotted so I finally broke down and cut the plywood out, replaced it and fiber glassed it back in.
ronc98

Post by ronc98 »

I do not thing the C-26 has this.

When I have everyone off my keel trunk I do remember seeing anything on the keel trunk that when through to the other side.

Can anyone else confirm this that has had their Keel apart.
Windward

C26 keel wedges down

Post by Windward »

No snubber, just one heck of a friction fit. I've seen 'em wedge in hard enough that they're very tough to raise. Broke a keel pennant trying to raise mine once, although I've gone to 1/4" pennant since then to replace the original 3/16".

Would be nice to have a lock-down, but can't see a reasonable way to rig on on the 26.